Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

RIDDOR - who reports?

Post by TWDB »

Hi all,
Probably an oldy in terms a question but as I luckily don't deal with many RIDDORS and wanted to check.

a guy has gone over on his ankle on one of our sites - turns out to be fractured (so a RIDDOR) , he works for a sub-contractor and was working on site for us , but under supervision of the sub-contractor company directly on site, but we are the PC.

I have always assumed that it was the employer of the person who needed to report to RIDDOR.

HSE website seems to say , in a loose way that it is the premises owner?

We are of course undertaking a full investigation for lessons learnt etc.

who reports to RIDDOR?

thanks
TWDB
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: RIDDOR - who reports?

Post by witsd »

If a member of the public walks into your workplace, gets smacked on the head and drops down dead, you guys would have to ensure a report is completed. When you think about that scenario, it doesn't really make sense that a contractor would be someone else's responsibility!

Certainly, their manager is going to have more information on them being off work, but you guys should have far more detail on the nature of the accident, so the majority of the responsibility remains on you.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

As far as I know, it doesn't matter who reports to RIDDOR. it all depends on the initial agreement you had with sub-contractors at the start of the project. The law doesn't stipulate it has to be you or them, it just needs to be done. Now, if I was the PC on site, I would insist that this is done by myself to ensure I have a good handle on it.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

My understanding is that if it is an employee of a company you have contracted to do the work, then their employer should do the report. If the contractor is self employed, you should do the report.
arnoldisnumerouno

Post by arnoldisnumerouno »

I’m with Stephen on this. I have had to report in the past (as a subcontractor) and the main contractor couldn’t have been any further from the reporting responsibility. It will generally be laid out in contract documents that the employer makes the report with copies provided to the MC within x number of hours.

My experience only of the scenario.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Does it even really matter though?

I feel like more time is spent by people trying to work out the minutia of RIDDOR rules than it would take to just submit a report. I would think that it's far better that the HSE get two duplicate reports promptly than getting one late.

People seem to be reluctant to attract the HSE's attention, which – whilst understandable – really isn't that likely to lead to anything negative, and certainly shouldn't be the priority.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Post by safetygal »

We had a RIDDOR recently with our onsite Facilities Management company, they completed the RIDDOR as the employee worked for them and I received a copy for my records

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy