If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Security gritting in Winter

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Fishoutofwater

Security gritting in Winter

Post by Fishoutofwater »

Hi all.

I know we are in August, but I'd like some advice before Winter sets in.

I do security for a utility company. It is mostly CCTV work as we remotely monitor their other sites.
This site I'm on has been targeted many times in the past as there is plenty to nick, but we keep theft down with regular patrols.

It's quite a large site, that in Winter, a gritting company comes in to do the roadways, but to keep the costs down, the client requires security to grit the pathways.
They have supplied us with a push-along gritting machine and have placed salt bins around the site (which they don't fill regularly).
The gritting patrol route takes about 45mins to 1 hour to sufficiently satisfy the client.
They have decided that 0330 is a good time to carry out this task as it keeps ice at bay for when staff come in around 4-5 hours later. Staff that wear very ice-unfriendly shoes may I add.

I've found out for the last two Winters that there are potential risks that come with this task. Namely being that it's a one-man site.
At that time of morning there is a high risk of slipping. You don't have your wits about you like a normal patrol, so you probably won't spot an intruder on site. Call-out staff enter site with their own keys and then leave site with the gate open, which is an invite for intrusion. If we make a check-call at 0400 then slip and knock ourselves out, then we would be helpless for over an hour before control raise the alarm to the manager that lives 30 mins away from site.

I have addressed all these hazards to the client on two different occasions, but they aren't interested. They just tell you to do your best.

Earlier this year, there was an emergency cover guard that didn't grit the site and a member of staff slipped and injured themselves, so it is an important task, but one that the gritting company should be carrying out.

Is there a law that looks after the lone-worker in these situations?
billinom8s
Student
Student

Re: Security gritting in Winter

Post by billinom8s »

there are lone worker rules and regs.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg73.pdf

At the very least you should be equipped with a 'man-down' radio link, that way if you are horizontal for more than 30 secs to a minute and alarm goes off and the and corresponding radios are alerted to the fact you are 'down'.
stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by stephen1974 »

Man down links are a good option.
If you find you are slipping whislt gritting, wear shoe grips.
You are gritting once a day, and at a time when temperatures have probably been low for a while and therefore ice has already formed. Grit throughout the day, every eight hours perhaps, or at least check to see if its needed. If this interferes with business hours, look at the possibility of closing walyways off and creating a diversion whilst you grit an area.
Do you wait for ice to form or do you have a trigger point based on the weather forecast so you can grit before ice forms - this will also stop you slipping.
Fishoutofwater

Post by Fishoutofwater »

Thanks for your replies guys.

Answering your question Stephen.. We constantly check the pathways all night as the weather apps can say it will be -2C, but actually won't freeze.
We have been caught with our trousers down a few times as it can get to around 530am and then suddenly the roads and paths become slippery. I think it has to do with the location and surface materials as we can leave site and there is no ice on the council roads and paths.
Also, ice can form early evening, so many times I can come on to shift and the site is slippy already. But the powers that be demand that we only grit the site at 0330am in time for the darling office staff that come in a few hours later.
Fishoutofwater

Post by Fishoutofwater »

billinom8s wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:38 am there are lone worker rules and regs.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg73.pdf

At the very least you should be equipped with a 'man-down' radio link, that way if you are horizontal for more than 30 secs to a minute and alarm goes off and the and corresponding radios are alerted to the fact you are 'down'.
That's an excellent idea and something that I will put forward to the management. But they do have a track record of not wanting to spend money and security welfare doesn't seem that high up on their agenda.
I'll let you know what they say.

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy