Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

to ipad or not to ipad

Post by safetygal »

Our powers of financial be made the decision to remove all laptops from our sales field teams and give them all iPad (iPad Pro's)

they are usually out on the road delivering presentations and selling drugs (legal ones of course) but for the last 18 months they have been sat at home doing their jobs on teams and zoom and although some clinics and hospitals are open to face to face meetings, as you can imagine most of their calls are still online.

They have all been supplied with a monitor, keyboard and mouse and a connector to connect the iPad to the monitor at my request. I personally have never done this and many are struggling with using the mouse on the iPad and resort to touching the ipad screen. This obviously has consequences of aches and pains in their neck, arms and shoulders (particularly in those with pre-existing conditions) it is also causing psychosocial issues.

I am finding those that are struggling are the older generation, perhaps millennials are better at coping with tech change or they do not have aches and pains yet because they are used to using an ipad?

do you have any experience of this? I cannot change the business decision (I have tried to stop it for the UK under DSE Regs), it is a global decision and I am just me trying to look out for my people.

Picture is for attention
Attachments
DJcat.jpg
Andyblue

Re: to ipad or not to ipad

Post by Andyblue »

Are you saying they have a separate mouse, if so what has changed from a laptop with a mouse? Lots of laptops have touch screens. It sounds like there may be a lack of training & familiarisation or an aversion to change. Apologies but can’t quite see the issue for the user?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: to ipad or not to ipad

Post by Alexis »

Being of the older generation, I am thinking the same as Andy with this SG as regards to the training aspect.

They most probably think why on earth do they need an iPad just to plug into the same sort of system as their laptop. Show them the benefits, whatever they may be :lol: with the training and give them time to adjust.

Once again, being of the older generation, I would become frustrated with a new system that I saw no benefit to my job, especially if I worked in sales and would revert to the easier tried and trusted way for quickness. Pressure to sell, meet targets etc., means you have to be quick, know your product AND your laptop/iPad's speedy capabilities at the drop of a hat to seal the deal as it were, so....... without training to "prove" the benefits, I too would revert to using touch probably.

Training will work I am sure. It's not that my generation don't want change or cannot adjust, it's simply a case of show us the benefits and we will be the first to embrace the new practises.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy