Shorts - yarp or narp?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

billinom8s
Student
Student

Shorts - yarp or narp?

Post by billinom8s »

So we are now in our traditional 5 days of summer and the guys out on the road doing the work are making noises about wearing shorts out on site.

It's company policy that no engineer is to wear shorts on site, it's not the company dress code so in theory stop there.

But no.

Due to this bout of heat(we've seen over 30 degrees each day for the last 4 days down here) the guys are finding it hard going in their work trousers and want to wear shorts, this was compounded after seeing an office member in shorts yesterday during working hours. Although the office staff work in a safer environment, they also have to contend with floor to ceiling windows and zero aircon so roundabouts and swings really.

What I'm asking is this, other than the usual risks - scrapes, bites, burns, puncture wounds, infections etc - are there any known safety rules that could be stated to back up the No Shorts On Site ruling that I have asked to issue out?

Many thanks
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: Shorts - yarp or narp?

Post by Safety »

Hi,

This would be down to risk assessment and possibly anything that is written in their employment contractor in relation to Dress Code.

As you have a company policy and depending on your risks it may be worth having a discussion with those at the top to see if the wearing of shorts can be introduced as a temporary measure.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

No safety rules that i can think of other than what your risk assessment says about the jobs they do.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

How about doing a hot weather risk assessment and cover all eventualities. State it only becomes applicable at a certain temperature.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

did think about that, then you have to make sure they are wearing approved workwear shorts(boss won't provide them) and also that customers are happy to allow them to wear them on site. I've heard of some local authorities banning shorts on site. then how do you go about proof of temp? it may be 25 in Plymouth but 10 miles away it could well be 30+ in the lift shaft of a building.
Chief White Halfoat
Student
Student

Post by Chief White Halfoat »

Been having this very argument with senior management all morning.

Our company have a no shorts policy but in this weather I think it is absurd.

If I had to work manually outdoors in this weather I would just phone in sick. Any office staff who think this is acceptable are so far out of touch with their workforce there is no hope.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

Hi billinom8s

Just a tuppence worth - is there any possibility of temporarily amending work hours ( with a more formal policy for next time, "in event of temperatures exceeding 30 c , met office advisories etc - will introduce amended work hours etc "

When I worked in the very, very hotspots .sunny , work started at 06:00 and finished earlier. Obviously, this worked in a constant climate of heat !
It may not be feasible for a lot of reasons but perhaps worth a chat to the engineers ?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/ther ... olling.htm

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

would be nice, unfortunately our engineers attend a mixture of domestic and commercial sites, some local authority buildings as well as holiday properties.
Trying to gain access to these places during 'normal' working hours is tricky, mention before 08:30 and would probably get accused of stalking. Our engineers would more than likely do it, just wouldn't be able to sadly.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy