SSOW and Risk Assessments

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Andybails

SSOW and Risk Assessments

Post by Andybails »

Hi

I've got a question regarding SSOWs and risk assessments just passed my IOSH (about to start studying for NEBOSH). My work has given me my first task, and the task is updating the current risk assessments and SSOWs which is out of date considerably and all over the place. The warehouse uses numerous battery-operated tools, drills, nailer reciprocating saw and grinder, there not used for long periods of time apart from the grinder witch there is a battery, and a mains versions that they use and these are used up to a couple of hours a day, not every day this is job depending, question being is:

1. Does every single tool used, however many times it used do It need its own risk assessment, or can I create a general R/A example being Battery operated tools?
2. Can I create a single SSOW for battery-operated tools, or does there need to be their own SSOW for the individual item?
3. Does anyone know of software or templates for Microsoft Office that solely keeps track of SSOW and Risk assessments current and previous no cloud-based stuff just for an easily organised record? I'm currently using Excel. It seems to be all over the place, not easy on the eyes, lol.

Thanks, Andy
stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Re: SSOW and Risk Assessments

Post by stretch3144 »

Hi Andy, I would go with a risk assessment for battery operated tools, but make sure you reference each type of tool and any specific control measures for each tool.
Same for the SSOW.
I use an excel spreadsheet with hyperlinks to each assessment / SSOW in a folder on your server - suggest you save each document as a .pdf file so no-one can make amendments, and keep the .word versions on your own PC/HSE folder. Only the HSE team/HR/senior leadership should have access to the HSE folder.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: SSOW and Risk Assessments

Post by stephen1974 »

You could create a single risk assessment for the tools and create a cross refence system for the control measure, ie
Tool A: Control measures 1, 3, 5, 8
Tool B: Control measures 1, 3, 6, 7

The excel spreadsheet mentioned above is something I do (or a word document with links) and it works well. You can even set it up very easily on google docs for employees to have read only access to. I say read only because your employees should have access to such things, especially SSOW, but you don't want them changing things.

I'm not getting why people keep suggesting assessments and ssow etc should be hidden away from employees and that they don't need to see them. They do. Thay absolutely do. Thats the whole point of having them.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy