Moderator: Moderators

Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Report or not to report

Post by Steve M »

Hi everyone, its been a long time since I've been here. nice to see you again x
Been a Mental Health Roller Coaster for me then things took a turn for the better.
Then.....
I got my dream Job, H&S manager for small but cash rich company.
After 4 months we have gone our separate ways, leaving me unemployed.
The problem being I did not have buy in from the MD, a company where everyone is a H&S expert.
I now know why both the previous H&S Manager and Maintenance supervisor left at the same time.
There were serious H&S failing that I was not allowed to resolve, in particular, working at height and having all fire doors wedged open, the usual response was its been like it for 30 years. I expect that from long established workers but when it comes from the MD I know my work is more than a challenge.
My predicament is, do I report it to the relevant authorities?

More info is available on request.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Report or not to report

Post by stephen1974 »

Unless you can point to, with photographic or other documentary evidence, some serioues breaches that could result in immediate harm, the HSE will not give a flying F.

By all means, report away, it wont necessarily hurt you, though, the HSE will ask to be allowed to give your name if your old company asked who made the complaint. If you say no you can pratically hear your complaint being sent to file 13 over the phone.

They are too busy to investigate, especially whilst they are running around trying to generate cash from covid fines.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I'd you report the failing fire safety standards to the local fire service, they will attend.
But wedges alone will probably not result in any more than words of advice or an informal letter..

If there have been failures in completing a fire risk assessment or acting on the findings of one, or significant means of escape issues, or no staff training etc, this is something the local enforcement team can get their teeth into.

But watch your back. If you former MD is an arrogant, know it all fool I am imagining him to be, would ne make life tricky for you? For example, remarks on social media or otherwise damaging your reputation - as he may be likely to know you are the source of the complaint

When self employed, I grassed a few former idiot customers as their failings were so HUGE I couldn't live with myself if I had not. A garden centre burned to the ground 11 months after I reported their poor standards. The fire orginated in a children's Xmas grotto- exactly the origin of my anxieties. The centre was open and trading, but right at the end of the day. Nobody was hurt

Thats my nightmare. I overlook something I know is wrong and will not be corrected and someone dies. So I have sung like a (out of tune) canary a few times and have never regretted it
otto
Grumpy Old Git
Grumpy Old Git
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by otto »

HSE will investigate complaints where the complainant is anonymous as long as you let them have your name.
The inspectors know that they cannot divulge complainant details when anonymity is requested.
To get on the radar you will need to have strong evidence (including photographs) of potentially life threatening practice. HSE complaints are handled through a central team based in Bootle and farmed out to local inspectors after being triaged red, amber or green.
To get a red you need to have strong evidence of life threatening behaviour (unprotected roofwork/fragile roofwork) or serious health effect such as disturbed asbestos insulating board/insulation (not cement).
HSE is very under resourced currently and they are only tending to look at red complaints.

All the best

Otto
Purge the unsafe !!!

Lord of the garden shed and master of the gravelly patch....
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steve M »

I have decided not to report but passed my concerns through a different route.

My concerns were not just that the fire doors were wedged open but I was expected to train fire marshals, hold safety meetings and encourage staff to think safety. the staff had a better grasp of H&S than the MD. Last fire risk assessment was in 2014.

My worst concern is working at height, there is a hole the maintenance team go into every 3 months, its about a 20ft drop, a makeshift ladder, no RA or SWP, no training for access, no safety equipment or rescue plan, no gas monitor, I banned all access until all the above were resolved, I was over ruled.
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Looks like they just want a H&S manager as a front but not really interested in making things better.

I hate the whole "Been doing this for 30 years with no problems!" thing.
I've been driving for 25 years and not had an accident (touch wood), that doesn't mean something is not going to happen next time i drive!!!

I turned down a H&S Manager role when i last moved jobs as i got the impression from MD and HR that H&S was not taken that seriously and they would not support change.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steve M »

If someone tells me "we have been doing it that way for 30 years" I can ask them if they would stop doing it that way if they died doing it.
I can make them aware that the 120 people who died at work last year, that is the first time they have died doing it.

Chernobyl had never blown up until it did.
Grenfell never caught fire until it did.
By then it was too late many people died.

When you need to say this to the MD there is no hope

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy