Winch - for pulling is this covered by LOLER regs?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Winch - for pulling is this covered by LOLER regs?

Post by TWDB »

So are winches covered by LOLER or not?

ours are used for pulling cables (large HV ones) through ducts and trenches etc.
and subject to a calibration for the load they can pull i.e. .

question asked - by site is the calibration cert has juts expired but can they still use as it juts calibration - but feeling and reply is no - but want to be sure and haven't seen a loler cert for the winch

Thanks

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Winch - for pulling is this covered by LOLER regs?

Post by ddlh »

No - not LOLER because it is not lifting and supporting a load. Certainly comes under PUWER though and requires certification.
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Post by TWDB »

as a follow up I received the following from one of the Winch companies

The calibration is to give you assurance that the winch is working in tandem with its set SWL parameters.

So the winch is set to specific loads, increments of KGs and its is then checked against a calibrated load cell at the same time, that is inline on the test.

So, each pull we do, we check the winches load display against the loadcell to see if they both match.

Usually a SWL certificate is provided at the same time, I know the winch isn’t lifting, however its under load, so we do the test inline with LOLER regs.
Under our own schedule we have to check winches and the rope under PUWER regs every time they go out for a new hire, then once yearly under LOLER for the load and calibration side.

If your current winch cert is out of date then I suggest that it is not used unless in an emergency and never when the client is asking for proof data readings, via a printer or USB recording, until it has a valid, in date cert.

As your winch is probably only tested and serviced once a year, you should also follow the manufacturers guidelines to the weekly, monthly maintenance and safety checks in the manual.

Here’s a little more below:

PUWER:

The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) apply to work equipment. That's all types and any equipment used at work. If you own, operate, use or have control over work equipment, PUWER applies. PUWER requires all equipment used at work to be suitable and safe for use, correctly installed, maintained and used. It should have suitable health and safety controls and markings.

LOLER:

The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) apply to, you guessed it, lifting equipment and operations. If you own operate or control lifting equipment, these regulations apply. A lifting operation could be the lifting or lowering of any load, including materials, people, or other equipment. Lifting equipment must be fit for purpose, suitable for the task, marked and subject to periodic inspections.
LOLER and PUWER
LOLER and PUWER are often referred to together because they do have some overlap. Both sets of regulations apply to equipment. Both sets of regulations place duties and requirements on the inspection and installation of equipment.
• LOLER only applies to lifting equipment
• PUWER applies to all equipment

Inspections:

Both sets of regulations require equipment to be inspected after installation and before being put into service for the first time, and after assembly at a new site or in a new location. Both sets of regulations also require equipment to be examined at suitable intervals to ensure any deterioration can be detected and remedied in good time. So these requirements are the same.
a. thoroughly examined—
i. in the case of lifting equipment for lifting persons or an accessory for lifting, at least every 6 months;
ii. in the case of other lifting equipment, at least every 12 months; or
iii. in either case, in accordance with an examination scheme; and
iv. each time that exceptional circumstances which are liable to jeopardise the safety of the lifting equipment have occurred; and
b. if appropriate for the purpose, is inspected by a competent person at suitable intervals between thorough examinations

The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998

your thoughts are welcome

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Thanks for the clarification on that T, I've locked that one away in my head for future ref.

.salut

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

The response they've given pretty much covers it all.

You won't need a LOLER certification if you are not lifting anything. I would say even if the cable you are dragging goes up an incline, unless it could fall and damage something or someone, you won't need LOLER,

However, you will need to carry out weekly/monthly checks yourself as per the manufacturers guidance, and keep a record of this, and then once a year have it inspected by a competent person. The safe working load does need to be tested as if it fails there could be serious consequences from snapped wires or broken machinery.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy