Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Hand fed plattens

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hello,

We have a hand fed platen machine that is donkeys years old and just under a metre long (platen size). This machine is being used regularly which raises some concerns as upon looking at the HSE guidance document https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/pis18.pdf it states that these machines (albeit the larger ones) shouldn't be used for routine work.

We're in the process of reviewing guards, wiring out the dwell mode, etc as per the document but it would seem that this will continue to be used routinely at least for the short term.

My question is have I understood this correctly that any hand-fed platen should not be used routinely or just the larger ones above 1m?
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Hand fed plattens

Post by Waterbaby »

Bump ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Hand fed plattens

Post by ddlh »

Hello Safe & sound - its a long time since I have seen these machines - but they are worth their weight in gold as they are so versatile and cost effective for shorter runs compared to the larger runs. So they may be in continual use.

We had similar issues with guarding etc and e stops and - as you know - the operator is using both hands to operate the machine - we felt the single location of the e stop was difficult. So we set up a trip wire device to the e stop so the operator could operate the E stop with his legs by leaning in to the side (if that makes sense?)
Possibly look at putting trip wire at the operators back - ie chair so that if he leans back to sit then the e stop will work.
However - there is a lot of concern about using an e stop as a "normal" resort. You also need to consider the resetting of the E stop.
Ensure your operating instructions, training etc is spot on because these machines could be used constantly - I would seriously consider this as a routine operation if your risk assessment, stop machine trigger are robust and regularly tested.
Consider asking local authority safety team in to inspect your safety arrangements?
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy