Moderator: Moderators

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Public advised to cover faces in enclosed spaces

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

"The public is advised to consider wearing face coverings in enclosed public spaces such as shops, trains and buses to help reduce the spread of coronavirus."

Published 11 May 2020

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/publ ... sed-spaces

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Public advised to cover faces in enclosed spaces

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

"Face coverings to become mandatory on public transport

From 15 June, face coverings will be required while using public transport in England."

Published 4 June 2020
From: Department for Transport and The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/face ... -transport

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

This morning's news (several channels) was quite interesting that the perception by many people was the mask would protect the wearer from others, whilst it was my understanding that general face covering to the Gov spec, such as a scarf etc, was more to try to reduce the spread caused by the wearer.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

This is really starting to annoy the hell out of me now. The government is completely screwing this up. I understand why they are trying to make things simple but in the process the public are getting entirely the wrong impression of what they should be doing and why. And seeing H&S professionals buying in to this garbage infuriates me.

Wearing a mask is ineffective at protecting people. This has been proven in countless studies around teh world over decades in regardes to influenza type visuses. However, they do help reduce the spread of the virus by restricting the amount of the virus exhaled by sneezing, coughing, talking. Normal breathing does not exhale enough of the virus to cause a problem except in the most rare of cases.

I dont have a problem with them being used on transport and even in the workplace, but not it shops and certainly not in the open where they are completely uncecessary. Wearing disposable gloves in a shop is going to be more effective than masks. They will protect people, assuming they are intellgent enough not to pick their nose whilst browsing.

2m safe distancing is also annoying. there is no "safe distance" Social distancing is designd to prevent physical contact, not provide a magical safe zone where the big bad bugs cant get you. I've come close to letting rip at people who move away when they see people walking down the street - come on, use a brain cell.

This is important for the workplace when the number 1 question from clients is, how do we do we keep 2m apart. YOU DONT. Understand the routes of transmission for crying out loud. What you need to do is look at how to reduce physical contac, person to person and person to work surfaces, and in how to improve cleaning. Studies have shown that the worst surfaces are floors, keyboards and mouse.

Sorry for the rant but the lack of understanding is pushing my big red buttons.
PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Post by PaulDonaldson »

Again what is not made too clear is that this guidance applies to England only. The ascertain for a govt minister that everyone else will follow suit is wishful thinking.
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy