Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

MCJ1983
Student
Student

RIDDOR

Post by MCJ1983 »

Hi all

ok so I have a client who was injured on Friday last week, he cut his hand moving some material.
he attended hospital and had 3 stitches applied and they will be removed this Friday.
the client will not be working again until Monday making it over 7 days, however my client is saying the injured person would be fit to work on the Saturday. Would this still be a RIDDOR?

Thanks
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Re: RIDDOR

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi MCJ,

Over seven day incapacitation of a worker - Accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

Non fatal Accidents to non-workers - Accidents to members of the public or others who are not at work must be reported if they result in an injury and the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury. Examinations and diagnostic tests do not constitute ‘treatment’ in such circumstances.

All available at the following link www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/reportable-incidents

SS
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hello,

Just voicing on the good advice SafetySmurf has already given.

Unless I have misunderstood the dates you have displayed it would still 7 days on the Friday and therefore RIDDOR reportable.

Example:

Friday - Day of accident (do not include this day)
Saturday - Day 1
Sunday - Day 2
Monday - Day 3
Tuesday - Day 4
Wednesday - Day 5
Thursday - Day 6
Friday - Day 7
Saturday - Day 8 (RIDDOR Filed)

You say he will have his stitches taken out on the Friday but his employer is saying he can return to work on the Saturday? Surely he would not be expected to do full duties and strenuous activities with his hand? If not then it would be classed as not doing his full work duties and therefore reportable.

Out of curiosity and to help us further, what line of work is this person in?
MCJ1983
Student
Student

Post by MCJ1983 »

thank you for your responses, I have read the guidance on the HSE website and I believe it to be RIDDO as well dues to the fact that he will not be returning to work until the Monday, as I said it is being argued that because they would be at work on normal duties on the Saturday if there was work available then they are not wanting it to be reported.
they work in the construction sector.

thanks again
Towsey
Student
Student

Post by Towsey »

Hi

Safe&Sound and Safety Smurf have pretty much answered but here is a link some may find helpful;

https://legislationupdateservice.co.uk/ ... de-simple/

I was going to say to include weekends but not the day of the accident. If in doubt- report; what's the worst that could happen?
"respect the unexpected"
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

Hi, technically if he did work on the Saturday (or was able to performing his normal duties) then you would not need to report this under RIDDOR. I would wait until he resumes to work on the Monday and see how he is and confirm that he can actually work as per normal, based on this and on the information provided make a call and decide if the person would have been fit for work on the Saturday. you do have 15 days to report to RIDDOR. no need to report straight away.
As someone already said, reporting to be on the safe side should not be an issue.
MCJ1983
Student
Student

Post by MCJ1983 »

thank you, I think this is a good approach to it!
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I'm curious how someone working in the construction industry could be able to resume normal duties within a few days with a hand full of stitches...?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy