Laptop stands

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

clipper_joe

Laptop stands

Post by clipper_joe »

Hello there

I was wondering if anybody had any advice regarding using laptop stands? I use a laptop at work instead of a desktop but do find that I am suffering from back and neck pain after spending all day working on it. I was wondering if using a laptop stand would help with this, and also has anyone used them as a way to go from sitting to standing?
Any advice very welcome
Thank you
Andyblue

Re: Laptop stands

Post by Andyblue »

Putting laptop on a stand is quite common in that it raises the screen. It also means you’d want a separate keyboard. Is it just the laptop / screen height or are there other factors.
I might do a quick HSE DSE assessment at the same time
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

the most common causes of sore neck and upper back is the screen height (the top of the screen should be level with your eyes) and wearing varifocals or reading glasses.

So you may need a stand to get the laptop screen level with your eyes, and you may need to visit the optician to get glasses to suit the distance between your eyes and the monitor (often this is arms length or about 1m, whereas reading glasses are usually set at 1/2 metre)
You need to think about being able to read documents too, so discuss this with your optician if you wear glasses, they can usually give you a prescription that allows you to do both without having to tilt your head back to read the screen through the bottom of the glasses.

Standing at a computer is something that an increasing number of people are choosing to do, personally I prefer a well set up desk to sit at, but each to their own, just watch out for stiff legs, sore lumbar region, shoulders and chest, or neck as these are all indicators of poor posture and can lead to discomfort and injury.

If you are standing up at a screen you might find the position of the mouse or keyboard are no longer correct, causing the shoulders to droop and causing discomfort over long periods, but using a touch screen for the mouse often sorts this. You might also consider a pop up desk which enables easy switching between standing and sitting, the variation is probably a good thing.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

Really good HSE guidance here: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ck1.pdf

The only thing to bear in mind with this is that it is general guidance and individuals may have some variation in positions that they find most comfortable.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
clipper_joe

Post by clipper_joe »

Thank you so much for your responses, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, real life got in the way a little.
Andyblue - yes, I think a DSE assessment might be a good idea, thank you for that. I found an online form https://www.nhsggc.org.uk/media/237073/ ... es-3-6.pdf that I could use.
Do you think that one will suffice?
This website http://ergonomictrends.com/ergonomic-be ... op-stands/ gave me some good information
Kevlarion and Keith, thank you also for your advice, I don't want to be fixing one thing to end up with problems with another.

If I get a pop up desk like you advise I will be able to switch throughout the day. Found a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzm7pMOUjZ4 that explained how they worked and I think that is the way to go.
Cheers guys .cheers
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

clipper_joe
The DSE pdf you found is from an NHS Trust so will undoubtedly have some of their corporate terminology etc included, such as who to contact, etc.

I suggest you stuck to the hse form if you're not developing your own, which is the link that Keith provided.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ck1.pdf
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy