Gas and electrical cupboard doors

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

HSconnect

Gas and electrical cupboard doors

Post by HSconnect »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me.

I am the health and safety manager for our company. We have recently acquired an established business and its building in Scotland that had been up and running for 40 years (mainly storage warehouse with internal office areas) After carrying out a basic health and safety audit shortly after acquiring the building it was clear to see the previous MD was not into health and safety or any other regulations for that matter. During the audit, I picked up on a number of issues that are or have already been sorted out but I need some information on this...

There are two cupboards at each side of the building, each side has an electrical DB and mains switches in one cupboard and gas mains and shut off in the other cupboard. The problem is all of these cupboards are "double wardrobe size" and are fitted with Lovre doors to the front? This does not seem right and I think they should have solid doors with some kind of fire resistance. I must also add that the location of these doors and cupboards are within a passageway that leads to a final escape door.

Can someone please point me in the direction of what should be fitted. The current MD is trying to add plywood panels to the inside of the door and I need to put up a good argument but can't seem to find it written anywhere.

Thanks in advance
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Gas and electrical cupboard doors

Post by witsd »

The doors should be whatever the FRA says they ought to be. :D

Without seeing it firsthand it's hard to comment, but if I'm imagining the situation correctly and it were my FRA, I'd almost certainly be asking for them to be replaced. I'd probably suggesting an FD60S doorset, but be willing to accept FD30S if the price difference was objectionable.

Realistically, the risk to life after about 20 minutes is going to be virtually zero unless there are some very particular circumstances keeping people inside the building.

If you get the feeling that you are going to need to quote scripture at the boss, this would be my starting point: https://www.gov.scot/publications/build ... -domestic/

I'd try to find the specific section, but I'm just about to run out to a 'meet-and-greet' event with the general public...
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi and welcome aboard HSconnect. .salut

Great to hear of your concern!

Thank you to witsd for his response. .salut However, as he has had to return to work for the moment, I am hoping one of our fire professionals will come in with some further information to assist also. .salut

Good to have you join us.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
HSconnect

Post by HSconnect »

Hi Witsd,
Thanks for the link to the publication already downloaded and halfway through the read.

Hi Alexis,
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've insisted we fit the appropriate lockable fire doors and pointed out the location of these cupboards are sited along an escape route to a final exit. It's always better to be safe than sorry and the cost implication is going to be minimal in comparison to the decorating and refurbishment of the building and I'm sure the fire door will look a lot better than the horrible painted louvred doors that are already fitted.
Thanks again

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy