Smart or Deadly?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Smart or Deadly?

Post by Messy »

Widow to challenge so-called Smart Motorways via Corporate Manslaughter attempt

I doubt whether this case will succeed but I share this poor lady's view that these roads are not safe (or smart)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... s-england/
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Smart or Deadly?

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am Widow to challenge so-called Smart Motorways via Corporate Manslaughter attempt

I doubt whether this case will succeed but I share this poor lady's view that these roads are not safe (or smart)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... s-england/
Totally agree with you Messy.

I have often thought about such a scenario myself if travelling alone on a journey.

Good on this lady for highlighting this and I for one hope she is successful.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Here's a couple of links that don't require signing up to a subscription service:
https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... -motorway/
https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Wid ... fety/16123

Two points leap out at me immediately:
Jason Mercer and Alexandru Murgeanu were hit by a lorry on the M1, having pulled over to exchange insurance details following a prang.
I'm sorry, but if it's as reported then Why would you do that!!!!!

But another factor seems to be this little gem:
Indeed, it’s reported that CCTV operators take an average of 20 minutes to spot stranded or stopped vehicles.
:shock: :shock:

Certainly going to be an interesting case.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

bernicarey wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 pm Two points leap out at me immediately:
Jason Mercer and Alexandru Murgeanu were hit by a lorry on the M1, having pulled over to exchange insurance details following a prang.
It's rather difficult NOT to stop if they'd had a collision, and safety is possibly one of the first issues. They will not know until they have stopped and assessed the damage, whether it is actually safe to continue to drive. Then the legal aspect of being required to stop - minor caveat on that, but would you trust the other driver to stop at the next services / safe place to give you their details?

With all the tech being fitted to motorways, perhaps motion sensing/ cameras / tech could help to make these roads less of a risk when used as a live lane. Lets not forget, a motorway could be seen as just a dual carriageway with an extra lane. The same if not similar risks apply on the dual sections. I can see the problem with an alternative live/closed hard shoulder is persuading drivers that they need to have raised awareness of the current status of that lane. A challenge that may be a step too far for some.
On a practical point, it is a challenge to allow more vehicles to travel more readily on the same amount of road space. We all like to keep the wheels turning and their are no easy answer.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Andyblue wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:22 pm
bernicarey wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 pm Two points leap out at me immediately:
It's rather difficult NOT to stop if they'd had a collision, and safety is possibly one of the first issues.
As I caveated, 'if as reported' .
If a collision had forced me to stop, I'd be over the other side of the barrier before I did anything else.
Simple as that.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I notice the Govt have ordered a review of Smart(?) motorways as drivers are finding them too complicated

I smell a rat there and am not sure that 'too complicated' is the real reason. I wonder if safety and costs may well be a driving force behind this review. I hope so as if safety is not in the remit, it will be a lost opportunity to introduce common sense

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest ... 5-10-2019/
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Whoever came up with the concept of 'Smart motorways' needs a slap.

It was obvious the problems that would be caused and that broken down vehicles and accidents would increase as a result and that there would be no safe refuge for people.

The operators are either incompetent or have been deliberately instructed to give false information. The amount of times travelling along the M42 speed has been reduced due to the claim of Cows in the road. I've never seen one and this signs stay up all day for several days in a row. There are sections of motorways that ALWAYS have, debri in the road, or pedestrians in the road, or cows in the road signs up so that speed is permanently reduced in those areas. Even at 3am in the morning you will have 40mph, Congestion signs up.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

stephen1974 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:50 pm Whoever came up with the concept of 'Smart motorways' needs a slap.
Agreed.

Common sense seems to be very much lacking with ideas like smart motorways.

There used to be gantry signage over the original M74 where the wording was typed in text shorthand. Drove me nuts trying to decipher what it said. Eventually, I reported it as being a major hazard.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy