H&S Going alone...

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

seanoliver68

H&S Going alone...

Post by seanoliver68 »

Hi All

im currently working as a H&S Manager at present for a company that works in the construction/Rail industries across the UK.

i have been offered quite a bit freelance work from a couple of various companies but my current employment doesnt allow me to work for anyone outside my employer. It seems easier obtaining rail HSQE work from the feedback/research.

So iv decided to start on my own as of next year, has anyone got any advice/recommendations etc.

i know i need to increase my client base (and rapid).

cheers
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Re: H&S Going alone...

Post by kevlarion »

I've never done it, but I admire your bravery... good luck with your venture
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Sean. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB from me and wishing you every success with your new venture.

I am sure someone with a bit of knowledge in this area will come in with a few thoughts in due course.

Good luck. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Hi and the very best of luck

I went self employed after 32 years of PAYE and found both advantages and disadvantages

You are your own boss. A cliche I know, but you get to decide your pay, conditions, hours and even management systems .
The sense of achievement when you do your first few jobs is awesome (mine was a Fire Risk Assessement in part of Londons o2 arena!).

But..... frankly I couldn't contain myself. I became obsessed at growing the business and didnt say no to anything - even I had no time. I regularly worked past midnight writing reports as I had no time in the day as I had stupidly accepted another job. I had to or someone else would get it , wouldn't they?

I was successful and won contracts in 3 x NHS trusts and a huge housing provider in London

Things were good, they were very good, but what about tomorrow? Everyone I spoke to become a potential customer . I knew I was way over the top when I gave out a business card at a dear friends funeral

Mrs Messy was questioning the balance of our lives. We had money, but I wouldn't take leave. "Did u get the dry cleaning?" she would ask after a full day at work I hadn't of course, neither had I eaten

I had to admit I hadn't left my 6' x 6' office pretty much all day. I was not keeping in touch with friends, I was like a drug addict, obsessed with success (not the money oddly) and anxious it wouldn't last

Then I fell ill - exhaustion related of course. A customer said they were taking on a full time fire advisor so didnt need me any more and did I know anyone who might want it? Despite a huge pay cut, there were lots of advantages for my health and marriage so I was back on the PAYE

Advice? Set boundaries, esp hours of work and if you are busy, dont be afraid to say no to work or I cant do it until 3 weeks time etc. Simply protect your private and family life

Not sure how helpful that is, but I failed to keep my 360 degree vision as I was so focused on the business. Not a great strategy
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Nicely put Messy, although not uneasy journey to have had. Having been s/e for a variety of periods and jobs, I'd suggest the OP looks as much if not more so as thaw they will work (as messy desribed) as they do the actual job.
Look at where you will work, at home or rented space, how you'll set your rates - probably the most challenging point - is £200 a day too much or £400 not enough! Do you do hourly rate or day rate - can you reply achieve what you need to within the periods you quote and so within your price. Unlike your current employer, you are now responsible for managing all your finances with no slack, or any slack in funds, time or resources have to be planned and managed by you.
I bet there are lots of single person businesses on the forum and probably speak for many that there are lots of highs and lows with the one consistent that you are always looking at the end of the current contract and where the next one will start. If you go to an exhibition, conference etc then its a double edged sword - you pay to go and pay through loss of earnings in doing so as well.
seanoliver68

Post by seanoliver68 »

Honestly, superb posts and feedback. thank you so much and look forward to posting and reviewing the posts and content via this forum

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy