We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Minimum Door Height for Studio Gallery

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Rue

Minimum Door Height for Studio Gallery

Post by Rue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi there,

I'm drawing up an idea to gut a cellar in a hanoverian family home. The idea is to allow access directly to the cellar, which used to be the kitchen, from the front garden. There was once a door in this location yet it has over the years become a window at the bottom of the steps.

I would be using the cellar as a gallery space at certain times of the year and as a studio all other times. This means that when the cellar is open to public walking down the steps into the space it would be through a to-be-fitted door.

My question is what is the minimum height required of a door in this circumstance? I would be putting high visibility tape on the ceiling as well and I've seen shops where the entrances can be quite low.

Any help would be appreciated!

Rue

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Minimum Door Height for Studio Gallery

Post by bernicarey » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Rue and welcome to the Forums. .. What you have isn't really a H&S issue.
I'm assuming you're in the UK with your reference to Hanoverian as the age of the house, 1700s is the period isn't it?
Will the works you're having carried out be covered by Building Regs approval?
I'm guessing it might, if so, that will be the definitive source of your answer.

There's a big difference between historic doors that have always been there and newly installed ones.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy