Moderator: Moderators

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Welding COSHH Assessments

Post by Blackstone »

Morning all,

I am in the process of completing COSHH assessments. I am left with the welding consumables to complete. I have the MSDS but am struggling a bit with completing the assessments (not knowing much about welding and the consumables themselves).

Given the recent HSE advise on welding fume I want to get this complete and correct asap.

Could anyone provide a example assessment on welding consumable or give some pointers on what to include/consider.

Many thanks in advance.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Welding COSHH Assessments

Post by stephen1974 »

Would be interested in this as well, just as it's something i'm having to deal more with at the moment.
Smudger207
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Offshore Oil & Gas

Post by Smudger207 »

Hi Guys,

Loads of info contained in this link http://www.hse.gov.uk/welding/guidance/all.htm
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Smudger207 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:19 pm Hi Guys,

Loads of info contained in this link http://www.hse.gov.uk/welding/guidance/all.htm
Thanks for the link Smudger. some really good information ./thumbsup..

I would still be interested to see a sample of someone's COSHH assessment on welding consumable?
I am struggling to understand some of the information on the welding consumable MSDS to know what information to put onto the COSHH assessment

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

You'll need to have the airborn concentration measured to determine the level of risk. There are WELs for some of it, and now all welding fume is considered a carcinogen, the reasonably falls out of SFAIRP so you just have to lower exposure as far as you can, containment (put it in a seperate room), Collective Measures (extraction at source) to protect other people in the same room, and then PPE to protect the individual. Probably best to do before and after measurements with the lower measurements after precautions showing that you have reduced the risk as far as practical.

I can only think of one example where fume was eliminated and that was be welding the workpieces under water.... steam still had to be extracted and I bet it was contaminated by all kinds of interesting metals.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Godscrasher
Student
Student

Post by Godscrasher »

Ideally you're going to need to measure the actual exposure in the worst case scenario when there's no ventilation ideally in your work place.

This will give you a much better idea about what type of RPE is required based on your scenario and work activity.

However there is information out there that will allow you to determine the APF of the RPE you need. You can get air fed RPE with a welders mask which a lot of welders seems to prefer as it's positive pressure as well.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy