Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Ban the broom

Post by Penfold »

Hi all

Just read this online and cannot believe how worrying that a employer would of such a reputation would want to fight this:

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/na ... n-factory/

I'm sure that the press isn't printing the full story as that wouldn't make such a good story

Penfold
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Ban the Broom.

Post by stephen1974 »

Was walking past a news stand today and saw on the front page of sun where there was a story about a carpenter being told by the HSE to stop using a broom and buy a vacum cleaner. (In a factory)

I do understand the reasons why they would want him to, but is this a case of H&S going to far?
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Re: Ban the Broom

Post by Penfold »

Ive merged these two posts together as they are about the same news story
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Ban the broom

Post by stephen1974 »

Kicking off a bit on facebook on the health and safety page there. And me without any popcorn.

I didnt read what the papers said, just the head line, but looking in to it further, it was what I expected, a factory area producing a lot of vey fine dust, as opposed to a small workshop producing chunky wood shavings. I have to side with HSE on this one. I've seen the clouds of dust that get thrown up whislt sweeping and that stuff hangs around for ages. You would be breathing it in all the time. Even if you wore a mask whilst sweeping, it would linger in the air long after you took the mask off.
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

I’m disgusted that the papers are even giving this guy air time. Wood dusts cause serious health issues both short and long term but this employer doesn’t seem to care about that. Who cares if he’s made furniture for celebrities, how about looking after the health of your staff?
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

The 'story' originated from The Sun so bound to be sensationalised. I would trust a H&S professional over a luddite employer and a member of the gutter press any day

If this guy works from a 20 x 10m shed, then the advice may be over the top, but if its a busy industrial unit kicking up lots of dust, what is wrong with the advice.

I did a fire safety audit at a Met Police building which had a firing range on an upper floor. As guns are fired, they leave a residue of very flammable waste including gun cotton behind. The Police has an intrinsically safe (spark proof) vacuum cleaner that failed weeks before so the crew were supposed to sweep this dodgy fluff up and had refused.Therefore the who large space was cover in dust which would burn quicker than you could run. I was approached to include it in my report as there was also a fire escape through this area which was covered in this dust. I suggested the range be closed until a replacement cleaner could be procured

Maybe I would be guilty by the Sun of being a jobsworth too? Am I bothered?
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Messy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:35 pm The 'story' originated from The Sun so bound to be sensationalised. I would trust a H&S professional over a luddite employer and a member of the gutter press any day

If this guy works alone from a 20 x 10m shed at the bottom of his garden, then the advice may be over the top, but if its a busy industrial unit kicking up lots of dust, what is wrong with the advice.

I did a fire safety audit at a Met Police building which had a firing range on an upper floor. As guns are fired, they leave a residue of very flammable waste including gun cotton behind. The Police has an intrinsically safe (spark proof) vacuum cleaner that failed weeks before so the crew were supposed to sweep this dodgy fluff up and had refused.Therefore the who large space was cover in dust which would burn quicker than you could run. I was approached to include it in my report as there was also a fire escape through this area which was covered in this dust. I suggested the range be closed until a replacement cleaner could be procured

Maybe I would be guilty by the Sun of being a jobsworth too? Am I bothered?
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

:roll: Im sure I see Piers Morgan having one of his rants yesterday morning about this and H&S is nuts and the guy should 'broom' all day long.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy