Eye tests

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

Eye tests

Post by kngc »

Okay, we must recompense employees for eye tests where they are DSE users but what about drivers?

We insist that all drivers have a 2 yearly eye test but does this then mean that we should cover the cost and if so, is there anything in black and white that I can refer to?

Thanks

K
Safety is no accident!
Rowebin
Student
Student

Re: Eye tests

Post by Rowebin »

What sort of driving are we talking about? Cars, Vans, HGV's?

I did a Google search and read alot of grey information that gives no clear answer.

Personally what I would do would be to speak with your insurance company and also check what is in the drivers contracts.

I'm not an expert, but just my thoughts.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

We insist that all drivers have a 2 yearly eye test
Why? OK, so it's a nice idea, but Devil's advocate and all that... Why? This leads us to the next part....
is there anything in black and white that I can refer to?
NO. Because there is no requirement, well not as such. It's all about your general responsibilities and the fact that these days the Police/DVLA can revoke a Licence at the roadside, leaving your vehicle stranded. In the old days before direct comms from Police to DVLA, any driver who failed a Roadside Test was allowed to continue, until the DVLA had sent them a letter. Now it's instant.

The only 'eye test' that you can reasonably expect of a standard Car/LGV Driver is the one required for their Driving Licence by the DVLA.
It's a totally different situation and requirement from the DSE regs. A Driver won't get eye strain.

The DVLA website says that all drivers must have :
the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale
But nobody, as far as I know, does an actual eye chart test to go driving, all they get is the 'Read a number plate in the car park' check. I know it's different for PSV/HGV drivers, but then they also have periodic medicals.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

The entire content of http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg382.pdf only has one reference in it to eyesight. Page 6:
Do you remind drivers that they must satisfy the eyesight and other health requirements of the Highway Code and DVLA?
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

No specific requirements for driving, have a think about...
LGV / PCV drivers have then 5 years when required
Opticians like to see you every 2 years
Some companies like to do checks annually (Along with D/L etc)
Some accreditations (Such as FORS) require them at 6 monthly intervals
Consider a re-check following an incident / collision.
It's a check, not an optician's examination so no long winded course or qualification, consider the checking options - Snellen Chart in the office, an app such as VUtest.com on a computer screen or the traditional number plate at 20.5 metres in the car park. These are all equivalent to the accepted driver's eyesight check. Check all current drivers (including grey fleet) as soon as you make a decision as well as all new employees before they drive for company business.
Keep very simple record that it has been done, the result, method and outcome then only need the last date and next due date.
Presumably you have a means that requires drivers to notify you if their medical conditions change that affect their driving status - including eyesight.
I'm aware of several driver's who have been identified with eyesight issues then been to opticians which has in turn identified more serious conditions. Little reason to negate regular eyesight checks and with the recent publicity, you could say it is a reasonable expectation and task to allow the business to operate legally.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Driving doesn't damage your eyesight, and thats why there is no need for an employer to provide eye tests for its drivers, where as staring at a computer screen, does damage your eyes so the employer needs to check (and pay for) the health of their employees.
kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

Post by kngc »

Thanks all, much appreciated
Safety is no accident!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy