Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Production Line Risk Assessment

Post by Safe&Sound »

Hi all,

Just a quick question in relation to production line risk assessments...would you either;

1) Carry out a risk assessment on the whole individual production line (including all machinery attachments)

OR

2) Carry out a risk assessment for the individual parts of the production like such as conveyors, presses, work stations, etc.

I'm at a 50/50 and can't seem to see which would be best.
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Re: Production Line Risk Assessment

Post by Keith1983 »

I prefer the approach of a risk assessment for individual tasks. My reasoning behind this is if you have someone new to the business they can then consider the significant findings from one task at a time as they learn. If you have one massive risk assessment findings document from a whole production line the relevant information they need can be lost within that. I hope that makes sense.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
Safe&Sound
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Safe&Sound »

Keith1983 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:35 am I prefer the approach of a risk assessment for individual tasks. My reasoning behind this is if you have someone new to the business they can then consider the significant findings from one task at a time as they learn. If you have one massive risk assessment findings document from a whole production line the relevant information they need can be lost within that. I hope that makes sense.
Hi Keith,

Thank out for the quick response. Yes that makes perfect sense. My initial concern was that the document could be quite lengthy and therefore discourage people from actually reading it.

I'll go for the individual tasks as it will be easier to manage as well.

Thank you .salut
Keith1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

Don't overlook that you need to communicate the significant findings. Not necessarily the full document. The risk assessment process should involve the operators and other relevant people with relevant experience and knowledge on whatever is being risk assessed. I pull together a risk assessment team which comprises representatives from production, maintenance, logistics, quality and anywhere else that is relevant.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy