Moderator: Moderators

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Seatbelt and mobile phone use surveys: 2017

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

"Statistics on the proportion of drivers observed using mobile phones and wearing seat belts whilst driving in Great Britain."

Published 7 February 2019

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... rveys-2017

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Andyblue

Re: Seatbelt and mobile phone use surveys: 2017

Post by Andyblue »

I think what it is saying of the 1.1% of all drivers seen with mobile device (using/holding), the 0.1% is everything else other than a car driver. I love valued and well reasoned surveys.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

I'm not sure I believe it was only 1.1% !!! .scratch

"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review" :lol:

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Waterbaby wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:56 pm I'm not sure I believe it was only 1.1% !!! .scratch

"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review" :lol:

WB
[smilie=smiley-faces11.gif]
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Waterbaby, that was what I meant. This is an official survey and will be quoted for some time to come as a source of FACTS. Our perception may be disjointed or the survey may be. That was my point as well. It really depends on where the survey is/was taken and all sorts of other factors, but I assume it was a high volume and widely dispersed.
The good news is it negates the perception that all white van drivers and those deriving LGVs are always on the phone or if they are they are let than 1 in 10 compared to car drivers. I wonder how many motorcyclists and then cyclists were included/ excluded with cyclists being a road user group under quite a high scrutiny at the moment.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Yeah, the summary of stats is horribly broken. I bet they got an unpaid intern to do the work!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter »

There's been times I've been out on the motorbike and have a better view into cars where I'd put the mobile phone use figure somewhere between 30% and 50%. Certainly in town. Sitting that bit higher up means you can see everyone texting with the phone in their lap.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Talking about mobile phone use, I was reading the other day that a driver successfully appealed his conviction of using a mobile phone as he was just using it to listen to music

Once again, those who draw up the law seems to have messed up as you need to be communicating via the phone to be guilty. The prosecution in the case had argued by touching the screen, the driver was 'communicating' with the device. A bit weak do you think? The appeal court thought so and suggested driving without due care would be a better charge.

So you can listen to music, take photos and scroll through stored stuff and not face prosecution for using the phone. What a cock up!

https://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/nader-el ... judgement/
Essex

Post by Essex »

toecutter wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:15 am There's been times I've been out on the motorbike and have a better view into cars where I'd put the mobile phone use figure somewhere between 30% and 50%. Certainly in town. Sitting that bit higher up means you can see everyone texting with the phone in their lap.
Absolute rubbish. Every other driver using a phone? Never in a million years.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter »

Essex wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 pm
toecutter wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:15 am There's been times I've been out on the motorbike and have a better view into cars where I'd put the mobile phone use figure somewhere between 30% and 50%. Certainly in town. Sitting that bit higher up means you can see everyone texting with the phone in their lap.
Seems like a fairly strong reaction. Do you mean you'd like me to elaborate, or is it really just a straight-up "You're a liar, jog on"?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

toecutter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 am
Essex wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 pm
Seems like a fairly strong reaction. Do you mean you'd like me to elaborate, or is it really just a straight-up "You're a liar, jog on"?
Toecutter - I, without having figures to back it up, but purely on my own observations, would tend to agree with your thoughts, especially when traffic is slow moving, such as in towns and cities.

Essex - We are aware from past posts that your written word tendencies can be misconstrued at times. Toecutter was simply joining in the debate with his personal observations.

I hope this clears things up and no further backlash needs to involve editing of this interesting debate. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

No chance in hell every other driver is using their phone. Just a ridiculous concept.

As for using your phone to play music. Depends on where the phone is located imo. Ifs its up on the dash and within your field of peripheral vision then it is absoluetly no different to people using their radio.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy