Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

markholly
Student
Student

Help - Dance School

Post by markholly »

Hello,

My daughters go to a dance school and when they have found out about me being involved in H&S have asked me if I could take a little look at what they are doing and highlight anything that they need to do.

Two woman own and run the business offering classes Mon - Sat for both adults and children, do not employ anyone else and have been operating for 10 years. Now with there only being the 2 of them I know that they do not have to have a policy/risk assessment written down but with children in the mix does this change things dramatically or at all?

I believe (but have to check) that the E/Lights, fire alarm etc are maintained via the landlord so other then looking into the fire safety side of things and accident reporting is there anything else that you could suggest I keep and eye out for?

Thanks

Mark .salut
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Help - Dance School

Post by witsd »

Cleaning? COSHH registers might be excessive for a duo, but they should certainly be able to explain how their approaches meet H&S guidelines.

Lone working – are both staff always working together? What about holidays / sickness?

Slips / trips?

Are any of the clients (customers?) left to their own devices as would be the case in a gym? If so, are they given a full induction?

A painfully obvious one, but are the two teachers competent to be teaching? Certainly they've got experience, but do they hold the relevant qualifications?

Trying not to natter on about fire, seeing as you said not to... :D
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
markholly
Student
Student

Post by markholly »

Please do not hold back, would rather read and think that's covered than not read and wish someone had written it. The 'customers' are not really left to their own devices, they may have to wait outside the dance rooms until a class starts and regarding the children they are mainly either with parents or outside the dance room waiting to go in.

Thanks for your help here, I do appreciate it.

Mark .salut
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

From being an Archery Coach, we tryto have the following:
DBS Checks (requirement from ArcheryGB to be a coach)
First Aid training (2 in the club minimum)
Clear procedures for first aid or emergencies including how to get hold of parents in case of emergency, and how we manage if an adult has to accompany someone in an ambulance, and locking up the equipment (probably more important in archery due to potential implications of bows and arrows)
RAs
Insurance
We also have child protection policies and a County level officer in the vent of anything happening.

Our National Body also stipulates several of the above.

Yours,
Nell

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy