RPE

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

RPE

Post by kngc »

Interested in people's view on this:

Doctor writes a letter and states that due to unidentified allergies, the employee should wear a facemask but does not state which (particulate or vapour/gas), even though the diagnosis is for a skin condition that is not documented as being affected by any vapours or alike (with the exception of skin contact)!

The snag of course is that without further assistance from the Doctor I will need to decide which is better based on the limited information provided; made all the more difficult as they will only need to wear it when dealing with very low risk hazardous substances (which is infrequent to say the least), so comfort and style / size play a major part in this if we want to ensure the employee wears it when required!

Dr's, don't you just adore them!
Safety is no accident!
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: RPE

Post by bernicarey »

Send a letter to the Doctor saying that unless he/she is more specific, you are unable to comply.
A 'face mask' will only cover the respiratory passages, i.e. mouth and nose, so if it is a skin condition, are they saying that the employee has to wear a full face mask/hood?
Even a full face mask will still leave scalp and neck exposed, so where is the allergic reaction taking place? Does the employee need other areas protecting too? .scratch
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

:wave:

So vague as to be utterly useless :roll:

Suggest this recommendation is reviewed by an Occupational Health Dr - https://www.som.org.uk/find-an-oh-professional

If letter is from a GP or Consultant Dermatologist - ask them to refer to your OH Doctor/ Dept (if you have one) for review.

Advise you may need to make additional arrangements (suitable and sufficient) to accommodate employee ( i.e. more to it for you to sort !!)

Patient's permission is required but not usually a problem ./thumbsup..

Please let us know how this one goes!

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
kngc
Industry Sector: Health and Social Care

Post by kngc »

Thx both, I am following this up with the employee first as I am now of the belief that it is they who have specified a mask! Letter is even more vague than I alluded to above!

Will let you know the upshot once I close this off

Thx

K
Safety is no accident!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy