Fire Safety - Do we need Emergency lighting in our Constrcution site cabins?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Fire Safety - Do we need Emergency lighting in our Constrcution site cabins?

Post by TWDB »

Hi All,

Have a question on Fire Safety - and specifically the requirement or not to have Emergency lighting system in Construction Cabins

Are they required? is it dependent on duration the cabins are there? when to porta cabins become Permanent?

Question comes from a Fire Risk assessment undertaken

Any help as always appreciated

Thanks (Have a great XMAS all)

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Fire Safety - Do we need Emergency lighting in our Constrcution site cabins?

Post by Messy »

How long is a bit of string?

A single open plan portcabin office in a illuminated car park - probably not.

The same one used as a workshop, or inside a warehouse - probably yes

A 6 storey stack of 36 cabins in close proximity to a 24 storey building site - er, yes every time
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Fire Safety - Do we need Emergency lighting in our Constrcution site cabins?

Post by stephen1974 »

I would have thought it comes down to - if it all goes pete tong can you see your way out. No? Then you need lighting.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I'm curious as to what you mean by "Question comes from a Fire Risk assessment undertaken"

I would have thought that these kind of judgement calls are exactly what an FRA is supposed to identify – weighing the potential benefit against the practicality of thing to do?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

witsd wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:10 am I'm curious as to what you mean by "Question comes from a Fire Risk assessment undertaken"

I would have thought that these kind of judgement calls are exactly what an FRA is supposed to identify – weighing the potential benefit against the practicality of thing to do?
My thoughts exactly.
The FRA should have given an assessment of the existing hazard level and the measures to mitigate that down to a more tolerable level.

As presented here, the question seems to be questioning the results of the FRA.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Yeah, I'm assuming that the FRA has come back with the recommendation to install the lighting, and someone has uttered the classic "Yes, but is it a legal requirement?"

:roll:
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Now now 'reasonably practicable' and all that... cost is a factor. The budget wont stretch to emergency light. All employees can have an emergency glow stick instead.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

TWDB wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:10 pm Hi All,

Have a question on Fire Safety - and specifically the requirement or not to have Emergency lighting system in Construction Cabins

Are they required? is it dependent on duration the cabins are there? when to porta cabins become Permanent?

Question comes from a Fire Risk assessment undertaken

Any help as always appreciated

Thanks (Have a great XMAS all)

T
More details required.

Is this a generic FRA of Cabins in general, or specific cabins on a specific site?

Sorry to sound a Pedant, but as Messy indicated, it's hard to give a professional opinion with only part of the story. The more details provided, the better the chance of a practical answer.

Had you not said "Question comes from a Fire Risk assessment undertaken" my answer would have been do a FRA!

At the moment it sounds like you've got an FRA and don't like the recommendations.
So who did the FRA?
Are they a suitable person?
If they are, then their opinion is the one you've paid for, so tough; suck it up and get on with their recommendations.
If you don't like the FRA recommendations, well then you have a problem.
Back to "Did you get it done by a suitable person?"

There's even a question as to the size of the cabin, the number of exits and the amount of furniture or other obstructions inside that might impede egress.

Back to my opening comment, 'More details required'.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Essex

Post by Essex »

If your FRA states that emergency lighting is required then it is required. It must then meet BS 5266.

I am guessing that your cabins are used during the hours of darkness and act as office like(?) so this would mean that emergency lighting is required. Also if you have fire extinguisers, first aid points, steps, exit signs or any other safety signs these all require illumination in the event of a power cut so again would need emergency lighting.

If the cabins are just for storage of materials and are more or less a cupboard then I would say the FRA is incorrectly advising you.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

witsd wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:10 am I'm curious as to what you mean by "Question comes from a Fire Risk assessment undertaken"

Exactly, so many times I see assessors raise a action with a question rather than a action plan, might as well do it yourself...
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Yeah. Sure there are some situations where the assessor cannot possibly assess the cost of an action, in which case you really have to recommend that the company "considers doing X", but that certainly shouldn't be a go-to response for something as minor as fitting emergency lighting.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy