Whoopsie - Made a COSHH Trainer walk out.

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

safetylady
Student
Student

Re: Whoopsie - Made a COSHH Trainer walk out.

Post by safetylady »

Another late party-joiner. You were completely right, and they are so very wrong.
Motify management of your concerns, bullet point the failures, point out that you are 'competent' with specific training, and that is to protect the company from the dross.
I like to sit in on trainers brought in (well, I would rather not) but it is a form of audit / checking of standards surely. I often squirm, but never seen anything so bad. I would have reacted the same.
Just out of interest, why can't / don't you do the training?
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

No reason why I can't do the training. I'm simply new here, just over a month in, and this is a service they get for free and have been using previously. They had arranged it just after I came on board.

I'm hoping I can get them to use me from now on and stop using this free service. I get the feeling this is a sales rep whose been given some in house training in order to provide this service.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

PaulDonaldson wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 am Sorry for joining this party late, I remember having a conversation with an HSE inspector who quite clearly stated that if you had the old symbols on your COSHH assessment(not the MSDS!!!) it would very likely attract an improvement notice. That being the case your trainer needs to be re-educated. You were perfectly correct in your actions.
I wondered about this in relation to MSDS. Whilst searching online for various products i was finding a lot of old MSDS with the old symbols. I've also found a few chemicals around the building with the old symbols on - no idea how old they must be. I would have thought the 2015 date would have ment we should not be seeing these any more.
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

I suppose you didn't get a Christmas card from this lady.... oh well, never mind you were right.
julietrvn
Student
Student

Post by julietrvn »

PaulDonaldson wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 am Sorry for joining this party late, I remember having a conversation with an HSE inspector who quite clearly stated that if you had the old symbols on your COSHH assessment(not the MSDS!!!) it would very likely attract an improvement notice. That being the case your trainer needs to be re-educated. You were perfectly correct in your actions.
in my opinion, if you havent updated your COSHH risk assessments, (4 years later) it highlights the fact you do not keep up to date and are not familar with current legislation and so fully deserve the HSE slapping you with an improvement notice ;)
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

I''m sorry but I've watched this post from afar for a while and the post title is just not right. Whilst the sentiments may have been right, the way it was done, IMHO, was not. There were surely more appropriate and effective ways to do it. If nothing else, had you been wrong (heaven forbid), then the actions would have wasted everyones time and as an attendee I would have been very upset with your actions. If you were the lead manager or organiser at the time then stopping the session would have been right; or asking it to be paused whilst you discuss it with a manager for agreement / approval for it to be halted was surely the right route. Training as a presenter or attendee is never meant to end up as a slanging match and if it does then usually it's both parties that need to learn a lesson.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I agree the way it was done wasn't right, but all I did was ask a question. Are you saying I shouldn't ask a question? they threw the strop and walked out.
And I knew I wasnt wrong. I've been doing this too long, but I didnt come out and say, you are wrong, I asked them a question expecting them to clarify, not get aggressive and not flat out say im wrong and they are right. They lost their rag, not me.

I'll never not ask a question if i think something is wrong.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Well as I read the OP, Stephen simply questioned some of the information that was being given by the 'Trainer', who then threw a strop because they didn't like a delegate who wasn't prepared to sit there like an automaton and soak up anything said without question, allowing it to go in one ear and out the other most likely.
Any delegate on a course should be able to ask a question, relevant to the content, and expect a justified answer in response.

This alleged Trainer resorted to having a strop and walked out. I stand by all the comments I made 3 months ago.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy