New job advice

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

sgtwill
Student
Student

New job advice

Post by sgtwill »

Hi all been a while had to reg a new account lost old details.

I start a new job this week H&S manager role part time 2 days in a warehouse makeing plastic.

Looking for some urgent advice
After lookin at the company they have had 24 breachs of H&S in last year immediate improvement notices etc .
And fined for some issues.

And also had a spot in local paper for not paying staff to be honest i am kind of tryn to stay postive since being out of work i always accept any job offers but even reviews on indeed are bad.

My past role was for small company H&S admin and i will be honest i feel abit nervouis jumping to such a high role with not that much experance and i will be only safety person working ther no mentor etc the manager said they had.been doing the risk assememts but they havent got a clue they said so they need safety person.

i have been out of work a while so i kind of jumped at the offer as being on benifits is hell on earth
I have H&S qualifcation NCRQ IOSH Man etc.

I am just getting the feeling i may be makeing a bad choice they more or less offerd me job before i went for interview it might just be me but i get feeling.they want a scapegoat or is it just.new.job worrys?.

Any advice is much appriacited

Also what should i do first day if all gos well
I know basics check policy
risk assesments
Accident book etc.
Training records
Fire plan

Will
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: New job advice

Post by WillPool »

Will

Firstly, if you want your old account back, PM Alexis and she should be able to sort that out ./thumbsup..

congrats on the new job

As for your worries, sometimes gut instinct is never wrong, however as you say it may also be nerves as you are stepping up and its 'new'.

Personally if it it didnt feel right I wouldnt take it, however if your financial situation dictates you need to take the job then take it but keep looking for other work in case your worse fears come to life.

On a practical note, ensure you document a gap analysis (check, audit etc) and I would also send all meeting minutes and anything you recommend etc by email and blind copy yourself in to your personal email address should it all go wrong and they try and hang you out to dry, at least that way you will have access to everything you have said/recommended.

Hope this helps ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

Good Morning Skip1234 :wave:

Congratulations on new job !

Completely agree with Will's advice ./thumbsup..

One can read perhaps one positive, despite 24 notices - operation still going !

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/o ... cetype.htm

I imagine that the company are well on someone's radar, the question is are they 'improving' '??

Apologies to poster ( can't find thread, could have been Jack Kane ./thumbsup.. ) , but previous advice on first day / week is to not say or do a lot at all except walkabout and speak with the staff first and get a general 'feel' of the place ../.

Very best of luck , let us know how it goes ;)

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

You were taken on by the company / senior management, becoming established with then before hitting at what has gone wrong in the past. If they are supportive and wanting you to lead on changes, it will set the rest of your time. The management may also let you know what has been tried and worked - failed in the past
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

Hi Skip 1234,

Congratulations first of all Will.

Now, 24 breaches in the last year and they only want someone in 2 days a week, there is your first issue. Senior Management either don't want to or can't understand what their responsibilities are with regard to HSE.
I do not envy your role to be honest, but there are a lot of good people on here who will give sound practical advice, ask away.

Do an internal audit to assess where you are from a baseline point of view, be brutally honest in your findings and the NCR's will guide you towards a plan for you to prioritise and put in place.

Like the others have said, take your time and write lots of notes and back up your findings with weekly emails to your boss with findings.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
sgtwill
Student
Student

Post by sgtwill »

Hi all thanks for the advice think i made right choice. I have declined the offer from the company
Due to the fact they was not truthfull with me.

In the interview i was told
One worker had broke his foot 2 times in same year and cut his thumb off apprently on purpose which bafflied me.

They said they had only had 1 warning about safety after that regarding no machine guards .

Also was told they had been to court and fined due to hireing a roofer to clean an asbestos roof but apprently they dint know it was asbestos and no work took place which was a lie after looking on HSE was clearly not true.

After a quick look on HSE website and google
It appears they forgot to tell me about a mobile worker being killed due to their lack of safety advice and also a simlier incedent where a worker was crushed by a 2 ton machine after they was warned about the condition of bolts on the machine thankfully he lived.

It was a hard choice to turn role down but
I know i have probley saved myself less hazzle.

Also thanks every one for advice on first day etc
With any luck i will use the advice soon on a new role.

Thanks again will
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

As hard as the decision was Will, I think you have made the right choice. Good luck on your job hunt
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

This is terrible to read skip!

All the best in the new role. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

It is a hard choice to walk away but sometimes you have to. Sounds like it would have been a horrendous task and to do it part time? no.
To try and be helpful for future situations...
I am just getting the feeling i may be makeing a bad choice they more or less offerd me job before i went for interview it might just be me but i get feeling.they want a scapegoat or is it just.new.job worrys?.

Any advice is much appriacited

Also what should i do first day if all gos well
I know basics check policy
risk assesments
Accident book etc.
Training records
Fire plan
Having been used as a scapegoat once the answer is simple. Keep your own copies of everything you do.
Any issue raised, any recommendation made, any advice given, make sure you keep a copy for yourself that you can easily access from home. No use being on a works computer if they boot you out the door. Do the same for any instructions you receive.

If you can demonstrate that you are doing your job, they can't scapegoat you, though they can push you out in other ways, normally under a compromise agreement where you leave and they pay you to keep schtum.

For your first day, dont try and take on too much, that goes for your first week, month etc. You may find there are a 101 issues that you need to deal with and if you try to do to much you'll just do shoddy work. It will feel horrendous leaving things but you have to prioritise and complete one task before moving on to another. Completing a task will motivate you to do another and give you a sense of achievement. Trying to do 10 tasks at once will just make you feel like you are drowning.

Pick easy wins to start. People will take note of your success and will support you in your harder tasks.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Wow! What a shower!!!
In your first post my view was it would be an exciting challenge and maybe the fact they were employing someone was a positive move.

But your interview account most definitely sounded horrendous and was shouting ' get the he'll out of there'.

Maybe they are a negligent bunch of fools who lie and cheat. Maybe they are just unlucky, after all if an employee willingly cuts their fingers off (!!??) theres not much u can do about it!!

Well done for refusing this job. Without management buy in, the job was always going to be tough - but this sounds like u woukd have been at war. Your first day trying to make improvements and your second, looking after yiur back as they would surely be putting you in the frame when the next lot of body parts were lost.

Good luck with your job search

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy