Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Procedure to cover H&S Managers leave/ off work days. Chain o& command

Post by TWDB »

Guys,

Not sure if anyone has done this/ has this sort of thing in place.

I have been asked to draft up a procedure with the chain of command/ procedure in an incident/ accident situation should it occur when I am not available , me being the companies H&S manager. For example if I’m on leave, off sick etc.

I need to factor in being contactable on my days off/ out off office situations ( provision of a personal number to receive a text message on from the Senior management) - I.e. provide a clear chain of command should a situation occur.

I was thinking to base on a flow diagram - with procedure for different situations described/ shown.

Back ground for this is that I have identified that we need this in place should a situation occur.

Also I have applied to work a “ 9 day fortnight” / compressed hours with the aim for a better work life balance with my young family. :love10: :love10: :love10:

My work have asked me to explain how it would work in my absence. Hence this question

Hope that explains reasoning behind question.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Procedure to cover H&S Managers leave/ off work days. Chain o& command

Post by WillPool »

I would write 'a policy' (brief) but have a flow diagram (or similar) as an annex that can act as a standalone on a notice-board etc ../.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

Thanks Willpool
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

It will depend on why you need to be contacted or informed about an incident. I am sure there are things that you will need to do as H&S manager but these may not need immediate attention. Clearly you cannot be available all the time, so others need to be able to deputise.

A common approach is to have a 'duty manager' so that everyone knows who to contact first. Anyone who may be duty manager will need to be able to cover all the immediate requirements, including H&S, so there may be some training requirements and they will need a procedure or guideline to follow.

If you can set up some form of duty manager arrangement the instruction to site is they should be the contacted if there is an incident. If you feel it appropriate you can give instructions to duty managers that they can contact you when you are away, and provide phone numbers etc. But there will still be situations when you cannot be reached, in which case you need to decide whether you really are indispensable, need a deputy or actually the duty managers should be able to cover everything and can leave you alone.
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by TWDB »

Thanks Andybz

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy