VNA FLT - Can a second person travel in the cab, for stock-taking

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Andy R

VNA FLT - Can a second person travel in the cab, for stock-taking

Post by Andy R »

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me.

The question is, Can a second operative ride in a VNA forklift cab, for stock-taking?

HSG6 states, "Do not carry passengers unless the lift truck is designed, and equipped to do so" By equipped to do so, does this mean self rescue kits, harnesses? Would a second seat have to be included? (Taking into account, the driver has the option to stand if he wants)

The easiest option would be to use a cage. But under PM28, stock-taking is a planned event, and this is not allowed.

There must be provisions for passengers, as instructers would have to travel with trainee's during training, Insurance inspectors have to travel with the operator, during LOLER inspections.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Andy
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: VNA FLT - Can a second person travel in the cab, for stock-taking

Post by bernicarey »

Andy R wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 am There must be provisions for passengers, as instructers would have to travel with trainee's during training, Insurance inspectors have to travel with the operator, during LOLER inspections.
Why?
Training can be given from outside the vehicle, just as it is with motorbikes.

A LOLER Inspection is an inspection of 'Lifting Equipment' not 'driving around equipment' so why would an inspector need to be that close to the operator when the thing is being driven?

In fact, point in question, amongst other things, a new client of mine was picked up by local authority for not having LOLER certificates for their rough terrain FLTs (hence why they are now a client).
Turned out their annual servicing which was being done and a certificate issued for, actually included the LOLER Certificate but unless it was asked for, the servicing company didn't issue it, and there was no extra cost (go figure .scratch ).
Now I'm confident the engineer doing the annual servicing did not go for a drive with one of their drivers.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

The Instructor
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Training
Occupation: Managing Director, Forklift Instructor, NVQ Assessor, currently undertaking nebosh gc

Post by The Instructor »

Hi

In a nut shell, NO

There is a reason MHE (mechanical handling equipment) have 1 seat...
There are various types of equipment available for tasks such as stock taking, the one that springs to mind is a Scissor Lift...
Incidentally FLT instructors do not ride in the cab of a vna, with the candidate during training :lol: ;)

For argument sake, my advice would be to get said employee(s) trained to use a scissor lift (height dependent on your racking), then either buy one or hire one in depending on the frequency of your stock takes....

You're then basically covering all bases, and your employees will be safe...
Regulation 25 of PUWER and PM 28 Non-integrated work platforms on lift trucks, and of course section 2 of the HASAWA :D
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law, provided it harms none!
http://www.cabtraining.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Accredited Forklift Training
Pete B

Post by Pete B »

Hi
In the short, no you cannot carry a second person in a VNA, the easy option to get around this would be to use a scissor lift with "Trained" persons, but again always assess the task to ensure all hazards are identified along with ensuring you obtain the right one for the job.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy