Help with Health & Safety Qualification

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

nexus10

Help with Health & Safety Qualification

Post by nexus10 »

Good afternoon,

I have been asked by my employer to study to be the new health and safety officer when our current officer retires and would be an addition to my current duties.

Is there any minimum qualification I would need to meet the requirements of having a health and safety officer in the workplace? I want to make sure that I take the correct course and get the right qualification so that myself and the business is covered.

It is a relatively small business (plumbing merchant) with 11 employees including myself, there is heavy lifting involved and the occasional use of the forklift.

Thank you for your time.
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Re: Help with Health & Safety Qualification

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi Nexus, :wave:

I'd recommend you go down the IOSH managing safely as a minimum requirement and/or Nebosh certificate in occupational health and safety to give you some kudos.
Take a look at the Nebosh website or you could google suppliers in your area. https://www.nebosh.org.uk/
There are a few ways of studying - E-learning - block learning - day release.
The choice would be yours but the cheapest is e-learning.
There are plenty of suppliers. (a couple at the bottom of this page)
There is plenty of information in the downloads section on here also. https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/
And don't forget - you can always ask anything on here and someone will help you out.

SS .salut
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi there nexus and a very warm welcome to HSfB. :wave:

Congratulations on your added job role. clapclap How good to hear that yourself and your employer are looking at the correct training for such a task. :D

Safetysmurf has certainly guided you in the right direction with his reply. Perhaps look at a manual handling course too.

I would also suggest you perhaps join your local Safety Group http://www.safetygroupsuk.org.uk/local-groups/ This would allow you networking with other safety personnel, which would also give you a wider insight into how you could apply your H&S in your own workplace.

Anything you are unsure of, (as already mentioned by SS) we have wonderful members who will always give their thoughts to assist. :D

Good to have you aboard.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
nexus10

Post by nexus10 »

Thank you both for the information, it's much appreciated.

So there isn't a certain qualification I would need? I would be covered if I had the Managing Safely and Manual Handling qualifications?

Sorry, being quite new to Health and Safety I'm just a bit nervous that we could get a visit from the HSE or the local council and then the company gets in trouble for me not being qualified enough.

Thanks again for your help

Nexus
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi Nexus,

I wouldn't say that you are covered but you would have a very basic understanding of the H&S world. I would definitely consider the Nebosh certificate.
One thing to remember is that your managing director has overall responsibility for H&S in his workplace.

SS
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by joaorosa80 »

nexus10 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm Thank you both for the information, it's much appreciated.

So there isn't a certain qualification I would need? I would be covered if I had the Managing Safely and Manual Handling qualifications?

Sorry, being quite new to Health and Safety I'm just a bit nervous that we could get a visit from the HSE or the local council and then the company gets in trouble for me not being qualified enough.

Thanks again for your help

Nexus
Hi Nexus,
For start, will be important if you read the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, Regulation 7 Health and safety assistance.
Every employer shall, ..., appoint one or more competent persons...

With 11 employees, is important to understand the statutory duties, Risk Assessments & Policies.
Managing Safety is a good option, additionally, you can do the NEBOSH or NCRQ or NVQ.
AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

nexus10 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm
So there isn't a certain qualification I would need?

Nexus
Welcome to the world of health and safety where very little is actually defined with specifics and the words 'suitable' or 'appropriate' abound. :D As above, start with the Managing Safely to get you going, then move on to the NEBOSH Certificate and you're heading in the right direction. If you wake up one morning in high-vis pyjamas and have a favourite clipboard you call My Friend Dave you'll know you have gone too far,
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I would say it very much depends on what you are being asked to do. An IOSH managing safely course is not appropriate if they are asking you to do Fire Risk Assessments for example. Neither is a NEBOSH general certificate.

For general housekeeping type H&S IOSH managing safely is fine. You will only need something like NEBOSH or NCRQ if you are getting in to writing or influencing policy decisions, or, where the risks are very high, like in construction, though both will certainly be helpful in any H&S roll.

Beyond that its more about your understanding of the tasks you are overseeing, which is training and experience in those tasks. If you can demonstrate that you are a competent person in the tasks you are managing then the LA or HSE won't be to worried about qualifications, except where specific qualifications may be required.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy