Banksman

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

toecutter
Student
Student

Banksman

Post by toecutter »

Does anyone know of any courses that just cover basic banksman duties for lorries reversing in a yard? All I seem able to find is Banksman/Slinger courses, which aren't really want we need. A quick look on the HSE website turns up

"If you do use banksmen, make sure they are trained to carry out their duties safely. There must be a safe system of work that ensures the Banksman and driver are using standard signals, so that they are easily understood, and that the driver knows to stop the vehicle immediately if the Banksman disappears from view."

So really, if such a thing exists, I'm just after a really basic course that covers the standard signals and the relevant safety points.

Thanks!
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Banksman

Post by bernicarey »

They are out there, e.g.
https://www.rospa.com/safety-training/o ... man/1-day/

Although is is a whole day which seems a bit excessive IMHO
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter »

Thanks, the content's pretty much what I'm after but I agree a whole day's maybe a bit of an ask in terms of releasing everyone we need to attend. I'll put that on the Possibles list, though, thanks!
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

If that type of course is too much for your needs, can you consider having a course/session prepared for your needs by another provider. I was going to suggest a train-the-trainer , but the linked course provided shows the TTT is 5 days!!!! I'm not always persuaded that the length of a training session really equates to the quality or content of a course.
toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter »

Definitely worth looking into if I can't find an "off-the-peg" course, thanks Andy.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy