Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: First Interview tips

Post by Alexis »

Ewangoil wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 am Had a very exciting meeting yesterday with someone who has their own consultancy. Long and short i am going with them next week to carry out a site visit for a client. No guarantees but there may be a possibility of some work/experience/training.
This came about through me emailing local H&S companies and putting myself out there. All very exciting
Congratulations Ewan! clapclap clapclap clapclap .bounce

Shows you what a bit of perseverance can do.

I do hope this is the beginning of your way into H&S. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Fingers crossed eh? I think there may be potential in this one once i gain a bit of experience
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Wee update. Been a busy week. On Wednesday I had my day out with Claire. We visited 3 of her clients sites. One was a hotel extension and the other 2 were new builds. It was great, she asked me to take the lead both in the site inspections but also in communicating our findings with the contractor and the client. I should have found it quite daunting but you know what? I loved it and felt like I'd been doing it for years never mind my first site visit. Anyway, after the visit I was offered the client on a regular base. I'll now be carrying out monthly site visits on this one. Couldn't be happier. THEN today I had my interview for that other job. It's with the civil service so could lead to a brilliant career. Felt it went well, most of the questions were competency type questions but I think I answered everything confidently. Exciting times ahead.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Ewangoil wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 pm Wee update. Been a busy week. On Wednesday I had my day out with Claire. We visited 3 of her clients sites. One was a hotel extension and the other 2 were new builds. It was great, she asked me to take the lead both in the site inspections but also in communicating our findings with the contractor and the client. I should have found it quite daunting but you know what? I loved it and felt like I'd been doing it for years never mind my first site visit. Anyway, after the visit I was offered the client on a regular base. I'll now be carrying out monthly site visits on this one. Couldn't be happier. THEN today I had my interview for that other job. It's with the civil service so could lead to a brilliant career. Felt it went well, most of the questions were competency type questions but I think I answered everything confidently. Exciting times ahead.
Aw, this is great news on both counts Ewan! clapclap clapclap

How exciting is this year for you! .salut

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

I know Alexis, Things are starting to go in the right direction. Thanks for the support and encouragement - next up is the diploma - which one though? there seems to be so many options
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

That sound very good Ewan. All the best!
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Thanks Juan
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Quick update. So i didn't get the job i went for. Lack of experience again. Wee bit disappointing as it was in the civil service on a massive nuclear naval base so would have been hugely varied and interesting. BUT never mind that's in the past. I am out for 2 days next week with Claire carrying out site visits and risk assessments. Hopefully over time i will have enough from Claire to give up my current business and go full time with her. Thats the dream anyway.....
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Ewangoil wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 am Quick update. So i didn't get the job i went for. Lack of experience again. Wee bit disappointing as it was in the civil service on a massive nuclear naval base so would have been hugely varied and interesting. BUT never mind that's in the past. I am out for 2 days next week with Claire carrying out site visits and risk assessments. Hopefully over time i will have enough from Claire to give up my current business and go full time with her. Thats the dream anyway.....
Och! Sorry to hear this Ewan. Must be something better for you around another corner. .salut

Your dream will happen. bighug

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Wow, Its been March since i posted last. The latest update is that my dream to go full time has kind of been forced on me to a certain degree. I had to close down my signmaking company last month as a result of not enough work.
I'm now working solely as a health and safety advisor, albeit on a self employed basis at the moment. I'm still working for the same person who is giving me as much work as she can but there are no guarantees. I'm being kept quite busy though and will be attending my first pre-construction meeting next week on behalf of one of our clients so its all going in the right direction and at least if this doesnt work out long term i'm gaining valuable experience.

On a completely separate note, my spell checker doesnt like the way i spell advisor. It wants me to spell it with and E. Apparently both are acceptable spellings, so what do you call yourself? An advisOr or an advisEr?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Hi Ewan. :wave: Good to see you again and with an update. ./thumbsup..

Advisor/Adviser? ./cyclops

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

The spellings adviser and advisor are both correct. Adviser is more common, but advisor is also widely used, especially in North America. Adviser may be seen as less formal, while advisor often suggests an official position
Taken from : https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... rchangeabl

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy