Good luck Ewan. Still time! ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Re: First Interview tips

Post by Ewangoil »

So, still nothing. What is the general rule of thumb when it comes to things like this (ive worked for myself for nearly 20 years so interviews are new to me)
I phoned last Monday and they told me a decision would be made on Friday. Haven't heard anything since. I understand not getting a reply when applying initially but surely if they've had me for an interview they would let me know even if i was unsuccessful? I don't want to be THAT guy that's always on the phone to them but at the same time keen to know either way.
What do you think? What is normal etiquette in these situations? Do i just wait it out?
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Morning Ewan. :wave:

If it were me, I would be sending an e-mail now.

That's another week gone past what they said, so you are quite entitled to contact them. ./thumbsup..

Good luck.

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Emailed yesterday for an update. Got a reply this morning. Didn't get it. Of course now, part of me wonders if it was because i kept pestering them.
Just the standard email, "standards were very high" etc etc. I will reply however and see if they can offer any feedback.
I ticked all the boxes in the job requirements and felt the interview went really well so be good to know where i need to improve.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

I wouldn't worry about losing the position because you contacted them Ewan. It just isn't the one for you. Better one around the corner with your name on it. .salut

Good idea to ask for feedback.

Just seek out that special job for you now. .salut

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Thanks for your replies Alexis
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

I know the feeling. On the bright side, it has always paid off at the end :)

I doubt that you asking them a couple of time would have had any weight on their decision. I personally would not go back for anymore feedback. Just put it to the back of your mind, take it as a good learning opportunity, which I'm sure it was, and now you are better equipped to attend future interviews.

Don't feel down, have a drink and don't be beat yourself over it. Sometimes we overthink on what we did wrong during the interview etc and often without need. It could have been that the position wasn't finally authorised by their senior teams (they won't tell you that and will come up with any excuse) or simply that the position had already been ear marked for someone else. I once went for a position, again with a large organisation, and I thought I was very good at the interview process etc only to find out that the job was given to chap of them that happened to had been doing the role for the previous year as a contactor.

Look forward that a perfect position will come up for you. all the best.
Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Thanks for the replies. So, I got feedback yesterday which was appreciated.
Overall they were very impressed with you. However there were other candidates who could demonstrate more experience with completing accident investigations and reporting and chairing H&S Committee meetings which they have decided to move forward with.
How i get that experience i'm not sure? This was an entry level position so i didn't expect them to be looking for someone with that level of experience.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Hi Ewan. Good to have gotten the feedback. Doesn't always happen.

I, like you, may have thought entry level would mean no experience.

Unfortunately, someone who has had that experience of risk assessing etc., perhaps in a Safety Rep capacity, or shadowing placement has come along and taken the role.

Maybe keep in mind, that they did consider you, so just unfortunate in this case, which also means, it wasn't for you and another one will come along with your name on it. .salut

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Hi All, wee update.

I have another interview on 8th March. This time it's with the civil service. The official job title is "Safety Health Environment Fire Performance Monitoring Officer"
It's a wee bit more secretarial based but will give me a foot on the ladder and will involve attending safety meetings, carrying out audits, SHEF performance data collating, Undertake performance analysis and monitoring so really quite a varied role. Sounds really interesting.
Fingers crossed
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Ewangoil wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:59 pm Hi All, wee update.

I have another interview on 8th March. This time it's with the civil service. The official job title is "Safety Health Environment Fire Performance Monitoring Officer"
It's a wee bit more secretarial based but will give me a foot on the ladder and will involve attending safety meetings, carrying out audits, SHEF performance data collating, Undertake performance analysis and monitoring so really quite a varied role. Sounds really interesting.
Fingers crossed
Some title Ewan, but as you say, it does sound interesting.

The very best of luck with this one. .salut

Ewangoil
Student
Student

Post by Ewangoil »

Had a very exciting meeting yesterday with someone who has their own consultancy. Long and short i am going with them next week to carry out a site visit for a client. No guarantees but there may be a possibility of some work/experience/training.
This came about through me emailing local H&S companies and putting myself out there. All very exciting

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy