Moderator: Moderators

apf
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Ports and Logistics

Best bag for a mobile Safety Manager

Post by apf »

Here’s a random one....

I am a safety manager for a large organisation with responsibility for a large part of Wales & NW England. I’m always on the road, and never know what I’m going to have to deal with when I arrive.

So I need to carry loads of kit /laptop / cables / paperwork etc etc....

Has anyone got the ‘ideal’ kit bag for this type of mobile support? At the moment it’s a rucksack and a laptop bag but I only want to carry one thing.

Any ideas?

Cheers - Adam
joaorosa80
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Best bag for a mobile Safety Manager

Post by joaorosa80 »

Hi Adam,
Isn't a easy one.
Do you really want to change the way that you currently work?
With an iPad you will be able to write down your notes (ipen) and edit your documents.
If you prefer the paper, you have also the smart pens, scanning your paper notes immediately to a digital format.

To carry all your gear, you can use a trolley.
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Maybe a mobile office pulled at the back of your vehicle?
Surely you don't need to carry everything? [smilie=duel.gif] tackle as you go?

SS
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

A great deal of my work is within data centres that are sniffy about allowing any IT on their site. So no laptop, or pad for me, and even my phone is left outside. So its back to pen an paper (and yes, a clipboard!!! .cheers ).

I could get all I can carry in a carrier bag and its actually quite nice to be away from IT for a while- albeit being surrounded by it! :roll:
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Have a look at some of the police kitbag supply sites - they can be long and rectangular with shoulder strap. Tending to be rectangular shape means you can stack paperwork, files etc upright for easy access so less things are at the bottom, come in varying sizes so easier to stack and extract from your car.
speshtiny

Post by speshtiny »

Hi Adam
I do something similar, only difference is I have some idea to what I am dealing with.
Over time I found the following a must but you will find your own suited way of doing things.

* Waterproof note book and pencil. - Nothing worse than rain but you are still able to jot important things down.
* Camera and measuring template. - Pictures paint a thousand words but always have something to give scale. Something similar to what you see on CSI programs.
*Torch. - A powerful torch (i.e. Surefire) so you can use during the day. This is to help your eyes train to the areas of interest, plus you be surprised what it can pick up during daylight.

Once I have everything I type the report once back in my office. I hope this help and all the best with the job.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

The boot of my car has become an office.
Toolbox, PPE, Spare clothes, Printer, Reference Material, Clipboard, Notebooks, Printer paper, Laminator, Laminating pouches, Spare Ink... need to add a stapler and hole punch as my sites have bought theirs from poundland and got ripped off on the value. I just use a few cardboard boxes to store things in and it all sits nicely in there.

Then in the laptop bag its laptop, flash drives, various connection leads, pens, notebook, external hard drive, camera, camera charger, spare batteries, mouse (hate touchpads), hoice recorder, phone.

Its a pain as it means my boot is always full but it pretty much has everything I need.

If you have to lug things around in a bag, ouch. Would a suitcase on wheels be better? Even a sports bag on wheels. Tescos do one for £30 that looks like it could carry a lot. Would fit in the boot of a car easily for when you dont have to carry everything around, and then wheel it out when you do .

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy