Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

MCJ1983
Student
Student

asbestos survey

Post by MCJ1983 »

Hi All

carrying out work in an existing building which is having a refurbishment and new building works carried out on it, an existing cable was accidentally cut by another contractor and my company have been asked to re run the cable, we have asked for the asbestos survey before carrying out the works, this was given and detailed 5 low level rating locations of asbestos which are to be managed by being left in situ, the survey is dated 2011.

should i request a new survey report seen as there has been construction work since this initial report so that i can see that the asbestos has been managed properly in the 6 years since the report?

regards

Mike
Dodds
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: asbestos survey

Post by Dodds »

In my opinion, most definitely.
If it was being managed correctly there would be regular, documented inspections they'd be able to supply you. It sounds like it wasn't managed very well at all. Regardless of the low rating, if its been disturbed then the report they've gave you is out of date and the information contained within would required updating. Its probably still low but you never know.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I'd say it depends on where and what the asbestos is.

If you're running cables around and behind the suspended ceiling, but the asbestos is all firmly mixed into other material such as the outside guttering, the little tile-like bit at the edges of the roof, the black patch on the bottom of the sink etc, i.e. nowhere near where you are working, I wouldn't be concerned.

If however, it is in the area you're working in, or it's something more fragile such as pipe lagging, then perhaps you should.

Although this report is dated 5-6 years ago, it need only have a signature to say 'nothing has changed' appended every year or so.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

MCJ1983
Student
Student

Post by MCJ1983 »

thanks for the advice, i will request further information on evidence it has been managed. the asbestos found in the initial report was found on pipe work in one example.

i will request a further survey from the client.

regards

Mike

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy