We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Terrorist Attacks - What to do?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

95HSE92
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Technology

Terrorist Attacks - What to do?

Post by 95HSE92 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hi All,

We are a company with 10+ city centre offices, and in the recent months - as you will know - there have been terrorist attacks in London, which was 2 streets away from our office and just recently in Stockholm Sweden, which sadly our employees saw the entire events unfolding through the office windows .. very scary.

We conduct lockdown drills in our London office, and we have a security risk assessment in place but what else should we be doing? I am off to some local anti-terror conventions, but I'd be grateful of any guidance.

Thank you.

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Terrorist Attacks - What to do?

Post by bernicarey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am

There's a range of guidance here, first few items are about architects and build considerations, but lower down the page there are booklets about different sectors.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ded-places

Most of the info is about weapons use, they haven't caught up with the vehicle attacks.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

Post by Messy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:04 pm

To be honest, I would suggest the risk is low or only slightly raised if you are located in Westminster or a major city centre or somewhere large numbers of people gather such as sports venues.

We encourage staff to carry cash on their person - particularly female staff - in case they cant get back to office and are parted from their wallet or bag. The sharing of mobile phone numbers is also suggested so staff can help themselves if in crisis

Staff know a lockdown means they are not coming back in so they need to prepare their actions

We already consider security when determining evacuation assembly points and have applied 'disperse don't gather' policies as certain key sites.

Theres a need to be careful in balancing safety while minimising staff anxiety.

Your staff are far more likely to get hurt on the commute than by an attack & that's the main thrust of our staff comms

abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Post by abarnett » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Have you looked at Project Griffin?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ct-griffin

It's the UK Government counter-terrorism advice etc for businessses.

Had to go on this in 2009 as part of my Council induction and it certainly gave a good insight...

Hope that helps

Andy
Safety doesn't happen by accident

witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by witsd » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 pm

A well-stocked evacuation pack, including items such as a wind-up radio, mobile phone chargers (or external batteries) and emergency contact lists.

A defined invacuation point, where staff can retreat to until told otherwise by the emergency services.

A defined secondary assembly point at least ½ mile away from your site, often located inside a large building, hotel or similar.

A willingness to know that all the planning in the world will probably come to naught as the roads get blocked off and the emergency services tell you what to do instead.

You should also consider incidences of civil unrest such as the riots a few years back, or situations where a group take issue with some aspect of your business and decide to hold a sit-in protest or similar.

I'm aware of one of my counterparts (in my previous H&S role) informing his manager that their site in Hackney was going to be involved in the riots (based on BB messaging, I believe), at which point his manager refused to shut up shop, resulting in a considerable number of frightened people barricaded inside the building who could have been well on their way home instead.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:51 pm

If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas/Manufacturing/Engineering
Occupation: Health, Safety and Radiation Advisor for TechnipFMC & HSfB Web Site Owner

Post by Jack Kane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 pm

I recently heard about citizenAID and their app, check it out. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times, but great advice on what to do in terrifying situations.

http://citizenaid.org/

I have the app on my phone and would recommend it.

Get Listed for Free on our Directory

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy