We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Monthly Safety Board Report

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Vanquish
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Catering, Leisure, Hospitality

Monthly Safety Board Report

Post by Vanquish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some tips on completely revamping an existing board report to make it more interesting, informative etc. It reads dull and boring at the moment so any suggestions on how this can be livened up would be appreciated. It currently sits at between 7 and 8 pages long so again decreasing this may be in order.

I'm also looking for good examples for layout so if anyone has one they can/would like to share with me that too would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Nicky

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Monthly Safety Board Report

Post by Alexis » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 am

Bump.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

Rochelle
Devil's Playmate
Devil's Playmate

Post by Rochelle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Vanquish

I haven't got any examples to give but can you put some graphs, pie charts etc of information (accidents, trends and such like) if you do site visits put pictures of where you have visited showing good and bad examples of practise.

You could also promote a health and safety topic for example - next month I am going to focus on PPE - and give do a feature on how many people were wearing it correctly, not wearing it and then you can say concentration next month will be advising regarding PPE. If you look at accident trends again write a safety feature on that. Do you give your employee's H&S projects to do - again comment on their progress on this and saying that you will be giving guidance, support and advice on how to complete this?

Just a few ideas of what I used to do for mine - but I used to do one report purely for the board which was about three - four powerpoint slides and then I would do an individual one for my sites which was a word document about three pages including the above. They seemed to like it as it wasn't just words being thrown at them and found they actually did read it.

Hope this is of some help.

Vanquish
Student
Student

Post by Vanquish » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks Rochelle, some good pointers here for me to slot into a very text driven report.

I'm hoping with a different approach more of the directors will actually read the report!

Thanks again.

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Agree with Rochelle with charts and pictures ;)

Another idea is to provide a summary page at the front with all the key issues/information wiht page numbers so if they fancy they can read the summary and anything that catches their eyes from the summary.

If there is no graphics/summary some of previous bosses wouldnt read a letter of it, never mind the summary page ../. ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

David68
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @Dyer0145
Industry Sector: manufacturing

Post by David68 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi

To get the board to read a safety report in my opinion, it needs to be short, to the point and provide costed solutions to any problems that have been identified

If there have been accidents I identify what has been done to stop them happening again and how much it will cost. I also like to include a what if scenario - possible legal actions, civil claims etc

I like to include trends - not how many accidents and near misses but what, where and why they occurred and recommended actions, including costs. It is also good to demonstrate improvement to systems and procedures to show that the actions they are taking are having a positive effect and if cost savings can be shown, so much the better.

Sadly, I have found that much of the time it is a case of massaging egos with the occasional session of telling some home truths. In my experience, the board wants to know how much, how much, how much; anything else does tend to be somewhat ignored.
Grad IOSH - Tick
CMIOSH - one day! ../.

Vanquish
Student
Student

Post by Vanquish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:31 pm

Many thanks Will and David, again some very useful pointers which I shall definitely be using in my next report!

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy