We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

First Day in a New Company

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Madness
Student
Student

First Day in a New Company

Post by Madness » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:32 am

Hi All,

I have recently been offered a new job as health and safety officer. I am currently a health and safety officer but have been at the company for 14 years, starting from the shop floor and working up. I started my current job when i was 18 so it is really the only place i have worked (besides a couple of part time shelf stacker jobs when i was younger) so i am a little nervous.

I was looking for any advice you could give or directions you could point me to in regards to what would be your first priorities when starting a new job in this role.

In no particular order i was thinking along the lines of:

Read current policies and procedures
Review risk assessments
View accident stats/Near Misses/Investigations
Minutes from previous health and safety meetings
Current goals and objectives from company (found these briefly in the interviews)
View SSOW
Tool box talk register
Talk to staff/operators

The business is an automotive parts manufacturer if that helps at all, my background is in double glazing manufacturing.

Apologies if this is a newbieish style question but any advice input or criticism would be massively appreciated.

(i did try a search on the boards for "first day, New Job etc" but it came back blank.

Thank you

PaddyT
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Re: First Day in a New Company

Post by PaddyT » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:44 am

Hi Madness,

You seem to have a pretty comprehensive list that'll keep you going for a while there.

For me one of the first priorities is getting the operators on side.

Get onto the shop floor introduce yourself and let them know that you're not there to stop them doing their job you're there to help them do the job safely. The fact you started on the shop floor and worked your way up before becoming the safety officer will stand you in good stead also.

In my experience the operators will give you an honest, sometimes brutally honest appraisal of the the SMS.

Paddy
"The more you try to make something idiot proof, the more likely someone is to prove you wrong"

Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 am

Thank you, Paddy.

I agree, I like to have a decent rapport/relationship with the shop floor and try and get them onside or at least know they can raise things and they will be actioned on at least communicated back to them. Where i work now they are pretty hostile so i'm not too phased if they are abrupt so long as they tell me what the issues are. :)

Thanks again, really appreciated

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GlenDoc
Industry Sector: Refrigeration / Oil & Gas / Pharma

Post by Blackstone » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

I was in the same situation as you as few years ago.

Worked at one company for 19 years working my way from general bod on the shop floor to QHS Manager.

I took a QEHS manager position in a totally different industry again similar to yourself.

As Paddy has said, get out and speak to everyone, observe how things work and don't necessarily try to change much in the first month or so until you understand how the business ticks.
With the change of industry, get to know the industry and what makes it tick so you can ensure you are targeting the right areas.

The main thing is just enjoy it :) Be a sponge! :D

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you, Glen.

That sounds a great idea. I am happy being a sponge.

Congrats and well done on your recent change too.

I will start trying to find some trade magazines and highlight any shows on the calendar too to get some like minded contacts.

Thanks again

Rochelle
Devil's Playmate
Devil's Playmate

Post by Rochelle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi Madness

I have taken a new role (stared this one 2 weeks ago) and have made the jump from Domestic and Trade Waste Collections to a company that manufactures the drawbars and rigid decks (see learning already lol) for car transporters.

I have been around all the workshops and paint spray booths and have met most of the staff here. This is a big job as nothing has been really done in terms of H&S let alone the Environment for about a year.

I am in the middle of preparing a strategy type document of all the elements both good and bad and presenting it to the MD who doesn't really like to spend money but they do need it to bring it upto scratch. Also I am re-doing the H&S Policy and Arrangements.

Good luck with this and keep in touch as we may be able to help each other.

Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi Rochelle,

Thanks, thats a good idea. I'm kind of lucky as where i am going they have a lot of good things in place, full 5s, six sigma etc you expect from automotive and only just moved into a new premise which was designed with them in mind. (still having to pinch myself at the moment as where i currently am has been very poor and getting any investment is tiresome).

I will probably be on the boards more once i start so i will look out for any updates from yourself too.

Thank you.

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:48 am

Congrats on new job Madness ./thumbsup..

I have just started with a new client/employer a few weeks ago - working with all grades of staff. Plenty of chat on the shop-floor which has been critical to form an overview while keeping my own counsel ;) ( politely put Alexis :lol: )

Worked 3 nightshifts last week, with a staff member who has done 45 years, and has genuinely seen it all and each 'sweep of the brush' Gold ! ./thumbsup..

While management requested that I familiarise myself with policies and procedures (as routine/usual, no problem) - I reckoned it was much more informative (and better use of my time as a newbie in my first few shifts) to read their 'toolbox-talks' and meeting minutes to get a 'flavour' of current events/issues/concerns and 'company results' by external regulatory auditors in the past year.

To be honest - the phrasing might be different but the sentiments / themes are relatively similar internally and externally.

As all have suggested, get-in-about and enjoy!

WB
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change"
Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

Post by Messy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 am

I would go on a huge charm offensive from day one!

I did this when I stared at my fire safety post 8 years ago. I immediately requested a short meeting with 6 heads of department in the first instance, as getting management on board is key - before moving on to visiting various parts of the business. My aim was:

> To dispel any myths and show I am a pragmatic sort of character and not a 'jobsworth' type who would be negative and disruptive.
> To explain my aims which are everyone goes home tonight and comes back tomorrow, whilst the organisation remains productive, efficient & litigation-free

My approach was one of a door to door salesman. Complimenting their operation, how efficient it is, how ordered their records are etc etc. I was very interested (even if I was bored rigid) in what their department did. Frankly, like a salesmen with a starving family at home- I needed to make that sale at all costs - and the product I was selling was fire safety

I made lots of friends who are now totally on board
Some staff are less engaged and never will be fully on board, but I know who they are and am able to focus attention on them to see what they're hiding!
And I made some enemies. For example, banning acetylene means I do not get any Christmas cards from the engineering team :)

So as a previous poster said, make no changes now (unless they are required to control screamingly obvious high risks). Simply walk by most problems you see and pick them up later when you are established. Assume & plan that change - where needed- will be slow and adopt an approach of taking tiny nibbles of change, rather than attempting big mouthfuls!

Lastly, congratulations and good luck clapclap . I totally understand your anxieties. I worked for one employer for 32 years before moving to my current firm. It is daunting as the culture, people and familiarity will be different. But it can be an exciting challenge too!

Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Thank you all. Some really good advice and making me feel less nervous.

Just got to hand my notice in now and look forward to starting after Easter. :) thanks again. Really appreciated.

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 am

Madness wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 pm
Thank you all. Some really good advice and making me feel less nervous.

Just got to hand my notice in now and look forward to starting after Easter. :) thanks again. Really appreciated.
Didn't want to interrupt the replies Madness. congrats on your new position and good luck with it. I'm sure you will be a major asset to the company. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 am

Thank you, Alexis. :D Exciting times

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy