Near Miss Phone App

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian Lancs
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Twitter: @adyinaccy
Industry Sector: Con Space/WAH/Water Utilities
Occupation: SHE Manager for company specializing in engineering within high risk confined spaces often utilizing rope access (IRATA) primarily within the water utility sector.

Near Miss Phone App

Post by Adrian Lancs »

Anyone using/considering using this platform to record and pass on near miss incidents?

Currently we have an A4 form but I am looking at ways to help promote the reporting of near misses (in tandem with toolbox talks to raise the awareness levels) and had thought of a few changes to the form/placement of form/sizing, etc but someone mentioned that they used to work at a company that used a phone app and it got me thinking that would work well for us (several small teams working at various sites away from HQ).

Anyway - comments on this topic welcome..........................
SteveDDon
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Near Miss Phone App

Post by SteveDDon »

Unite the Union have a H&S App which can be used to record both incidents and near misses.
These are then sent to our legal team, to be stored in case something happens.

Cheers, Steve
Unite H&S
Adrian Lancs
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Occupation: SHE Manager for company specializing in engineering within high risk confined spaces often utilizing rope access (IRATA) primarily within the water utility sector.

Post by Adrian Lancs »

SteveDDon wrote:Unite the Union have a H&S App which can be used to record both incidents and near misses.
These are then sent to our legal team, to be stored in case something happens.

Cheers, Steve
Do you perceive it as a platform that is more usable/better/easier than traditional paper based forms? On the face of it I think it will be a good thing and help achieve more submitted reports so would be good to hear from others who used/have access to it. Did reporting increase following its introduction and if so did it spike and then return to previous levels? I know it won't be a magic wand and whatever the format, the reporting message needs reinforcing on a regular basis.
SteveDDon
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by SteveDDon »

The app is for use by Reps to record incidents or near misses.
It's available for all Unite H&S Reps in all industries

The NHS where I work has already moved to a paperless system which all staff can use to report any incidents or near misses and a lot of near misses are recorded. Would these have been reported on the old paper system? I don't know.

I have yet to use the app as the only near miss I've been involved with happened before the app was released.
Unite H&S
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

I am in the middle of having our app updated to also collect near miss data as they don't seem to record any just now.

Wont get the go ahead for it until next year sometime but will try to remember to let you know how it goes ../. ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Adrian Lancs
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Adrian Lancs »

The chap that had previously used this kind of app thought he still had it on an old phone but when he dug it out it no longer worked which is a shame as I was going to get an idea of the form layout to pass on to an app guru I know.
Simplicity will be key and just getting key details + picture + single press submit should be fine but any tips on the layout would be appreciated by those that have used..........................
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Adrian Lancs wrote:The chap that had previously used this kind of app thought he still had it on an old phone but when he dug it out it no longer worked which is a shame as I was going to get an idea of the form layout to pass on to an app guru I know.
Simplicity will be key and just getting key details + picture + single press submit should be fine but any tips on the layout would be appreciated by those that have used..........................
Adrian

PM me your email address I have a SOP for our computer techs that have done some work on this that I maybe able to share.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
maquirky
Student
Student

Post by maquirky »

I can see that all of these comments are three years old now.

Does anyone use any near miss reporting apps that they would recommend please?

Many thanks
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

Hi Quirky,

In my recent experience of trying to get one to work across all of our sites around the world it seems to be GDPR that throws in the most spanners.

Obviously legislation is different from country to country but we could work around that.

The free and cheap ones are not secure and for a monitored and controlled one the costs get too high for what it actually is.

But if someone else knows of one I'm all ears

Si
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

GDPR shouldn't be an issue- there is specific allowance made for accident reporting.

However, if the issue is the fact their details could be shared globally or not those within the relevant teams etc, then how about a system which saves the users detail but, for general access then creates an anonymous record for general viewing? So almost a form of tiered access I guess.

However, I am not a computer guru so I don't know how easy this would be.

Nell

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy