Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucifer
Industry Sector: Construction / Civil Engineering
Occupation: Quality Administrator / H & S / Project Co-ordinator

Finding a H & S mentor

Post by Lucifer »

Hi All :wave:

I'm currently studying for my NEBOSH general certificate, NGC2/3 due for completion end of the month.

Hopefully if all goes well and according to plan (fingers crossed) my MD already has plans for me to take on H & S within the company and move away from our H & S consultant. This concerns me a tad!

While I've worked in previous companies with really good H & S, my current employer is, shall we say, lacking. I'm trying to improve things as best I can within my limitations, knowledge, experience and powers of authority (none - not senior enough in the business!). At the moment I simply don't have the knowledge or experience and I don't want to take on the H & S in full without some sort of backup. As soon as I get my (hopefully positive) result from NEBOSH my plan is to speak to the MD and request at least 12 months retention of our consultant so I can shadow audits etc. on site. I did ask our consultant if I could ask his advice/questions while I was doing NEBOSH but I think the word 'advice' in the context of the course went against ethics.

If the MD moves away from the consultant sooner rather than later, I'm not sure how happy he would be to become a mentor.

There is no-one else within the company who can step up to the plate so where do I start to ask questions etc (other than on here) but on a more job / personal level? What has anyone on here done in the past?

Any advice / thoughts will be much appreciated ./thumbsup..

Thank you
Lucy
markspark7
Student
Student

Re: Finding a H & S mentor

Post by markspark7 »

Hi Lucy

I used an external H&S consultancy whoare chartered CMIOSH for a few bits and bobs such as IOSH MS courses etc.
I've struck up a good relationship with them and they continue to assist me with help and advise wherever possible and theyt are helping me with my CPD and my Diploma.
Being chartered they feel it's their duty to assist fellow practioners wherever possible.

Regards

Mark

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy