Cleaning wood dust off operatives

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete B

Re: Cleaning wood dust off operatives

Post by Pete B »

Hi Kath
Absolute no to the use of airlines to blow dust off of them, this creates further hazards as indicated below by another forum friend. Have you tried disposable overalls with over shoes & hoods? we pay around 1.95 for them but for the handling of asbestos.

Using these will enable them to go home pretty much dust free but you would need to have a changing facility separate from their locker room and bins provided to dispose of the overalls.
I would also unless they are already, look ate RPE if its creating that much dust, and ensure that face fit testing is completed for this.

I'm sure if you allow them to continue in this way, there will be a claim coming your way for either an injury, illness or damaged clothing,

Always remember though, PPE is always the last control measure, only use if all other control measures have been put in place.
engineering controls work if practical.

Pete
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

Hi All,

Lets all take a few steps back here.

Where is the dust from? Why so much dust?

You mention LEV, can it be improved?

Can the tools or equipment be improved with better extraction? (i'm a fan of the Festool range)

Are we talking about fine dusts from sanding or larger shavings from planning?

ERIC-PD

So lets start with ELIMINATE, then move onto REDUCE,

OK your turn.

SI
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Are workplace showers not the answer here? Does not have to be anything OTT. .
Wouldn't their clothes then be all wet to go home in?? :D

Best way of managing dust is to keep an regular eye on how the LEV was used and carried out dust monitoring to ensure it was effective, then you look at why there is still dust on workers clothing. If its just small amount of wood dust on clothes overalls are best option here that will assist in the management of wood dust as long at the LEV is working correctly. In the past when I worked in one team who wore overalls the company washed them weekly to keep them clean (expensive but worth it).

make sure you manage the wood dust and not just rely on PPE
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

In case people miss it, the original post was from Summer 2016, and the original poster hasn't been active for over two years, so don't expect any more information!

:)
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

witsd wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am In case people miss it, the original post was from Summer 2016, and the original poster hasn't been active for over two years, so don't expect any more information!

Yes, I think Alexis was being generous in allowing the post from 'aaronrobinson' to remain.
Had I been the Moderator spotting that post with an advertising link in it, I'd have removed the entire post and left this topic back in 2016 ;) :lol:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

bernicarey wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:36 am
witsd wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am In case people miss it, the original post was from Summer 2016, and the original poster hasn't been active for over two years, so don't expect any more information!

Yes, I think Alexis was being generous in allowing the post from 'aaronrobinson' to remain.
Had I been the Moderator spotting that post with an advertising link in it, I'd have removed the entire post and left this topic back in 2016 ;) :lol:
Well spotted witsd!

Berni - Sometimes I too am not perfect! ;) :lol:

Resurrected as it has been, this topic still has good information to pass on. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy