Moderator: Moderators

karlarmstrong1
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Mechanical Engineering

SSOW template?

Post by karlarmstrong1 »

Hi,

Just finished a gap analysis for gaining 18001 later this year and it was mentioned the safe systems of work template we currently have isn't sufficient enough.

does anyone have a good version they would like to share?

Cheers!
gkw1974
Industry Sector: Supply Chain Logistics and Management
Tech IOSH

Re: SSOW template?

Post by gkw1974 »

karlarmstrong1 wrote:Hi,

Just finished a gap analysis for gaining 18001 later this year and it was mentioned the safe systems of work template we currently have isn't sufficient enough.

does anyone have a good version they would like to share?

Cheers!
Hi Karl,

i have found that templates from other sources can be frustrating as they are no more than what you already have, but in different layouts. I have also found that SSOW templates i have found have either too much or too little for my needs, so as much as you do not want to hear this, you may be better off creating your own.

When i struggled for templates, i would read the risk assessments/policies/SOP's relating to the tasks in questions and make notes as i went along as to the "controls" required to keep the task safe. Some people find, as did I, that a SSOW template may be sufficient even if it is no more than a checklist to say that things have been done, but of course... depending on the inherent hazards and risks within the task being performed, the SSOW may actually become more involved and detailed

Some people believe that a SSOW is nothing more than ensuring that relevant people have undertaken and met their responsibilities, and the key to something being suitably sufficient will change from industry to industry. A good OHSAS 18001 auditor will help you determine suitability of your SSOW rather than dictate what it should be.

If you still need a template, and would like some input, please let me know more about the works in need of an SSOW and i will offer anything i can.

cheers
karlarmstrong1
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Mechanical Engineering

Post by karlarmstrong1 »

Hi gkw1974,

Cheers for the advice, i think i will take it and just use the SSOW template we already have. I think it covers everything we need so i don't see it as a problem and fortunately it hasn't been raised as a major NC!

Cheers again!
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

Have you tried our expansive download section, you may find something suitable there.

Woodie
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy