Talking about Mental Health

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Talking about Mental Health

Post by Alexis »

Waterbaby wrote:../.

"Breaking the mental health taboo: 'Please talk about it' By Philippa Goodrich - Business reporter, BBC News"

9 December 2016 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38211107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC World Service "Business Daily" (Radio Iplayer) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04jh7hx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WB
Excellent links!

I just wish the word "mental" was taken out of the equation when speaking of "mind overload". That's what it is! An overload of the mind, which like any other part of the body, when it is pushed to its maximum, will require medical assistance.

If we overload our lifting capacity, (as my Grandfather did with ultimate death), our heart cannot take the added strain and will cease to work unless we have medical intervention.

If we shout too loud at the football match, we will lose our voice the next day because we overloaded its volume capacity and possibly require some form of medication to restore it, so how can it be different when our minds are overloaded and require medical intervention but sufferers are being stigmatised as being "a mental case"!

We have to remove the offending word "mental" and that means respected organisations like the HSE, who are promoting awareness of "brain/mind overload", must also remove it from their advertising. They and other groups like them have the power to teach by example, so why not an add-on to this campaign changing the title from mental to mind overload!

We have managed to change people's attitudes and wording when describing different races and the word disability is no longer stigmatised, in fact, both can now have repercussions in court so why are we still advertising "mental" health!

HSE, help us out please!
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Sorry I disagree.

We use oncology to describe cancer care, dental for teeth, cardiac for heart and many other words as shorthand to pin point health with part of the body.

So why avoid the word mental in this context? Its the stigma around mental health that needs removing and not the word. People need to understand that like physical health, illnesses are on a continuum with easily treatable mental health issues at one end and long term enduring chronic ilnesses at the other.

So many people think that the guy shouting at the pigeons is the only 'type' of mental illness. Its this ignorance that feeds fear and anxiety about the whole subject. Worse than that, it prevents people accessing mental health sevices which is such a shame.

Maybe we should begin by challenging the use of the word 'mental' when its used incorrectly? "My afternoon's been mental". "He's going to go mental when he finds out"

Its a very small step, but the misuse of the word just feeds the stigma that mental = crazy/out of control/irreparable

Just a thought
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Maybe we should begin by challenging the use of the word 'mental' when its used incorrectly? "My afternoon's been mental". "He's going to go mental when he finds out"

Its a very small step, but the misuse of the word just feeds the stigma that mental = crazy/out of control/irreparable

Just a thought
I would like nothing better than people to stop misusing the term. That's exactly what I am getting at Messy! Is this going to happen? Certainly not in my home city of Glasgow in my view. One description of Mental in Glasgow's vernacular dictionary is "off his head", crazy etc., thus my thoughts that a change of word may just remove it all together from any dictionary.

Kennymac
Student
Student
Twitter: @_kenduck

Post by Kennymac »

Hey guys,

I did the mental health first aid course. It was very helpful in understanding the issues people face, what they endure and ways of helping. I would recommend it to everyone to try. I say try because some may find it difficult to deal with. But they give a great algorithm to work with
Ask about suicide
Listen non-judgementally
Give reassurance
Encourage professional help
Encourage self-help
ALGEE
just google mental health first aid, courses will be in your area.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Kennymac wrote:Hey guys,

I did the mental health first aid course. It was very helpful in understanding the issues people face, what they endure and ways of helping. I would recommend it to everyone to try. I say try because some may find it difficult to deal with. But they give a great algorithm to work with
Ask about suicide
Listen non-judgementally
Give reassurance
Encourage professional help
Encourage self-help
ALGEE
just google mental health first aid, courses will be in your area.
Hi Kennymac. Many thanks for this information. Good to get feedback on the course. .salut

jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

Dental ...Etymology 1590s, from Middle French dental "of teeth" or Medieval Latin dentalis, from Latin dens (genitive dentis) "tooth

Mental ...Etymology early C15, "pertaining to the mind", from Middle French mental, from Late Latin mentalis "of the mind" from Latin mens (genitive mentis) "mind"

I'm with Messy on this. It's the misuse of the word that needs to be corrected not the correct use. When someone describes another as "sick in the head" the suggestion is something unsavoury, perverse even, but we are sick 'in the head', we do have a Mental Illness. I've said it before ...I'm not proud of having a Mental Illness, but I won't apologise for it either. No more than I would apologise for my diabetes, have the Flu or if I'd broken a leg.
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

As a new tangent in this topic, on BBC Breakfast this morning they had a report about Ben Smith, the guy who ran a marathon every day for 401 Days.
Now many would immediately think 'Nutter' just hearing that, but not as an aspect of Mental Health!

But he has encountered mental health issues he hadn't foreseen.

https://www.facebook.com/bbcbreakfast/v ... 157749917/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

jonsi wrote:Dental ...Etymology 1590s, from Middle French dental "of teeth" or Medieval Latin dentalis, from Latin dens (genitive dentis) "tooth

Mental ...Etymology early C15, "pertaining to the mind", from Middle French mental, from Late Latin mentalis "of the mind" from Latin mens (genitive mentis) "mind"

I'm with Messy on this. It's the misuse of the word that needs to be corrected not the correct use. When someone describes another as "sick in the head" the suggestion is something unsavoury, perverse even, but we are sick 'in the head', we do have a Mental Illness. I've said it before ...I'm not proud of having a Mental Illness, but I won't apologise for it either. No more than I would apologise for my diabetes, have the Flu or if I'd broken a leg.
Languge can and does change when there's will for it to do so. There are no 'coloured' people nowadays, and various more derogatory terms are largely historic. I remember the local convenience store being referred to as the 'Paki' shop. As offensive as that is in 2016, it was not so in 1976.

Who remembers 'Mind Your Language' sitcom? It was funny not offensive then, but the stereotyping is rightly seen as awful now

That's where I would like to see mental health heading and being treated with the same respect and understand of the harm caused to others if its not respected. Will I see it in my life time? I doubt it, but I hope my kids do
Kennymac
Student
Student
Twitter: @_kenduck

Post by Kennymac »

Thank you Alexis,

If I remember they do talk about the stigma surrounding mental Health.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

#HelpGBWorkWell

Just thought I'd pop up for a thought or two :wave:

So, for the past 3 months or so I've been dealing with a fairly low episode which has left me off work for 7 weeks, back to work on a phased return and now back to full time. It's unbelievable how much time has passed since this episode kicked in. Is it just me or does the concept of time change dramatically for other people going through long spells like this?

Back to work has its challenges, not to mention how the stigma adds to those challenges, but a few people crossed my path today with a really nice way about them and asked me how I've been feeling. Out of the blue, random conversations, but a really nice side of human nature. A nice wee lift. :D

I know what I'll be asking people tomorrow. How are you feeling today?

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

Jack Kane wrote:
Back to work has its challenges, not to mention how the stigma adds to those challenges, but a few people crossed my path today with a really nice way about them and asked me how I've been feeling. Out of the blue, random conversations, but a really nice side of human nature. A nice wee lift. :D
clapclap clapclap clapclap

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
CharlesChristiensen

Post by CharlesChristiensen »

Never keep it in secret guys, ask for help

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy