Talking about Mental Health

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

safetyninja

Re: Talking about Mental Health

Post by safetyninja »

My Pesonal opinion on CBT is i feel CBT is used by the NHS because results can be measurable so as it works on statistics so price can can created in line with estimated treatment for recover but in reality i feel people are only better when they become better i am not bad mouthing CBT as i have done training in this field and it is a great model to work from. But there is other approaches apart from a solution based within counselling which many may not be aware of which is the humanistic models such as person centred, Transactional transactional analysis and Gestalt these are great models for people to read and investigate for them selfs.

Hope this can be of some help.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Post by safetygal »

Hi

I have just caught up on this thread, recently I have become a Mental Health First Aid Instructor,

Initially I wanted to do the course after my partners bout of depression in 2011 which nearly led to him losing his job. I see him go through anxiety with the role on a fairly regular basis and it is not just him but pretty much everyone in his office. I have seen it in the offices and sites I have worked in including having to create a stress assessment and return to work plan for a young lad who had a breakdown at work.

I found the course eye-opening, I learned things I really didn't know about self harm, suicide and depression. I met with a man who was once not unlike many of us who was depressed and was shouted at by a senior in his office so he left to try and attempt suicide.

I have never cried so much on a course before in my life. It was not what I expected, it was so much more.

Some might say but what has it got to do with Health and Safety??? Well its the Health bit for a start, we need to make sure our guys and gals are healthy enough to do the job, if they are not then how can we be sure that they are carrying out the role safely?

Stress, anxiety and depression are the biggest cause of sickness absence in workplaces - but a survey by the BBC found 65% of us feel we can't reveal that mental health issues are the reason for taking time off work - Why? because we are too afraid of the consequences.

I believe that we as Health and Safety Professionals have a duty to work at helping to end the stigma on Mental Ill Health

#rantover
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

It's been quite some time since I posted in this topic and I'd like to share a thought or two about my journey through depression in the hope it helps somebody. It might even help me too, I'm still on my own journey.

I'm in a very different place from the first day I asked for help from the doctor about 8 years ago to where I am now. It wasn't easy asking for help at first, didn't think I needed it, didn't think anybody could do anything to help, but I'm so glad I did take the first step and ask.

Treatment over the years has included doctor appointments, anti-depressants, mood stabilising meds, psychiatrists, mental health key worker, employee assistance programme, CBT with the NHS community hospital and best of all for me, family and friends.

I've just finished my third CBT group, each of those were a couple of hours per weekly session for 5 weeks. They were Managing Depression, Assertiveness & Communication and lastly, My Recovery. Each group had around 10 people, all there with their own mental health illness and on their own journey. Not one person I met fits into any stereotype in the slightest, we are all human and these illnesses are indiscriminate.

I found all sessions fascinating. Looking into why we think the way we do, how thoughts can make us feel so different from one day to the next and how we can actually control those thoughts and feelings to a certain degree. In fact, I fascinate myself :lol:

My message today is that I feel in a much better place than I did before my treatment started 8 years ago. I will still have episodes of depression, but slowly they are becoming less frequent, less debilitating and aren't lasting as long when they do come along.

If you are a bit lost and don't know where to turn and feel like it won't get better, make that huge effort to ask for help from your family, friends, doctor or whoever you can. That first step changes your life for the better.

It's not easy, but it's good to talk.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
nige b
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: groundworks

Post by nige b »

Just to keep this alive I work in the construction industry which has a high number of suicides one of the main groups are the over 40's , and one reason is builder tend to be nomadic moving from job to job living in a room or hotel during the week and often only seeing family for part of the weekend.
their rooms close in they dont have Friends as such wich leads to depression .

My initial step has been to do a tool box talk to the office team some of who have site responsibilities.
my 1st question was who has ever "felt depressed " out of 15 of us 8 put their hands up , some sheepishly some with confidence things just went up from there with an open discussion.
the same TBT was sent to sites with similar results. as part of the follow on were now looking in Mental 1st aid training for site AND office bods.
whatever the future im a happy bunny? Its now the future and I AM a happy bunny
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Cheers Nige, it's great to see these types of initiatives. The stigma of mental health issues will fade away the more and more we talk openly.

Here's a couple of links in relation to your comments..

https://www.matesinmind.org/

https://www.shponline.co.uk/mates-in-mi ... ll-health/

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
nige b
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: groundworks

Post by nige b »

Just a bit of feedback on the course.
there was 14 of us 1/2 male 1/2 female when asked 75% of us had suffered some form of mental illness from a minor panic atack to full blown depression. the course is for you to take away as much as you want BUT if some subjects are too close to home you can take a time out, this instructors tell you if you do they will come and check on you after a cple of mins .
i found it very interesting learning tings about myself and one of my friends how has issues.

I can def recommend this for any one in a high stress environment
whatever the future im a happy bunny? Its now the future and I AM a happy bunny
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

I'm definitely going to take a look. It's a really prevalent topic at my current workplace because of the interesting working conditions here at the moment. I will share it with my colleagues too. I'm looking at self funding my mental health first aid training course in the near future to not only educate myself on the matter but hopefully be someone who can help others.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

I attended IOSH Scotland Conference last week and found the keynote speaker, Martin Coyd, Mace Group, an amazing speaker. He is a champion of mental health in construction and, to be honest, was mesmerised by his talk. I am looking into a mental health first aider course.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

ALthough not definite yet, there maybe changes to legislation so that employers have a duty of care for mental as well as physical health:

https://www.healthandsafetyatwork.com/m ... -first-aid

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Hi All
For those that don't know, the HSE have revised the Management Standards workbook for Stress in the Workplace.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wbk01.htm

It includes quite a bit of info, including an example of what the HSE would like to see for a 'Stress Policy'.

Also, the monopoly on 'Mental Health First Aid' training previously divided up by the national 'Mental Health First Aid' in England, Scotland & Wales has been broken.
The first aid awarding bodies, of which there are probably around 15-20, are now getting into the market place and offering Ofqual Regulated courses.

The big difference is that the OfQual courses are assessed and you have to pass it to gain the qualification.
MHFA courses get you 'a certificate of attendance'.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy