We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Roof top edge protection

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Mazza0906
Industry Sector: Healthcare

Roof top edge protection

Post by Mazza0906 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Fountains of all knowledge,

Quick question for you. The Trust where I work is undertaking some lagging work on a single storey building with flat roof and currently no edge protection (the contractors is assessing those risks and producing method statements etc), I have been asked to determine if they should install edge protection/guardrails to the perimeter of the roof top whilst they are there.

Now, I have considered :

Access by the public - they would need to bring a ladder as all internal access doors are locked and chained (keys only available to the estates team)
Access by Estates Staff - they may go up there occasionally but no real reason to. Can access via lock/chained door if have key. Any work would be short duration and there is a clear working at height policy in place.
Suicide risk - if this is the case an individual would use the rails and it would be very hard for that individual to access the rooftop anyway.

There is a square opening in the roof, like a shaft, if anyone were to fall down it they wouldnt be able to get back out. This would need to be covered/guarded.

From a person perspective, I feel that although the injury would be significant the likelihood of someone falling is relatively low due to restricted access and the low frequency the estates team would access, providing permanent edge protection in terms of cost (not sure but its significant) would not be reasonable. If estates needed to go up there this would have to be planned and temporary edge protection could be used. Given the frequency of access this would more than likely be cheaper without compromising on the safety of the team. They would have to stringently implement their working at height policy.

What are your thoughts??? I have to say this is the first time an architect has included me in any discussions so I certainly havent said yes or no yet. I will only be advising but want to furnish them with the correct facts and resolutions.

Many thanks
:)

Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities
Chartered UK Safety Consultant & Managing Director

Re: Roof top edge protection

Post by Coldrop » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Difficult to give certain answer without seeing it but....What about a running line from end to end and wear a harness?
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!

frankie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by frankie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Any chance of posting some pictures up, Mazza including the scope of work? I would wait and see what the RAMS are from your contractor and see how THEY intend to ensure their own safety.
Do you have to go up there yourself?

Mazza0906
Industry Sector: Healthcare

Post by Mazza0906 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:08 am

Think I may have led you astray...

The edge protection and other measures are being dealt with by the contractor during the lagging works. The question is whether edge protection should be installed as a falls prevention method for post works i.e. to stop a member of the public and/or maintenance staff from falling should they access the rooftop. I dont have to go up there and it is unlikely that anyone else will have to. If they do it will be for short works only and it would be very difficult for a member of the public to access without bringing a ladder with them. So the question is whether they install edge protection (very expensive) or use temporary measures when and if the rooftop ever has to be accessed by the estates team (I have been told this will be on rare occasions).

Hope I have been a bit clearer.

frankie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by frankie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am

Mazza0906 wrote:Think I may have led you astray...

The edge protection and other measures are being dealt with by the contractor during the lagging works. The question is whether edge protection should be installed as a falls prevention method for post works i.e. to stop a member of the public and/or maintenance staff from falling should they access the rooftop. I dont have to go up there and it is unlikely that anyone else will have to. If they do it will be for short works only and it would be very difficult for a member of the public to access without bringing a ladder with them. So the question is whether they install edge protection (very expensive) or use temporary measures when and if the rooftop ever has to be accessed by the estates team (I have been told this will be on rare occasions).

Hope I have been a bit clearer.
On what you have just said, for me it's a definite NO. If you or other maintainance staff HAVE to go up on the roof on a few occasions, i would say YES.

Reasonably practicable. ./thumbsup..

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy