Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Madness
Student
Student

Ladder Modification

Post by Madness »

Hi All,

we use ladders at work for securing wooden square poles against products.
One end has a metal pin which goes into a hole on the base of a wagon, and then leant against the product and secured to the side of the wagon with string. I want to put a block of wood at the top of the ladder with a cut out to fit over the wooden pole to stand it securely against it when in use. As the pole secures windows and doors, resting the top of the rails against the glass is a no no.

Would adding the piece at the top (thicker than the rungs) effect the structural integrity of the overall ladder? It would be secured with two screws through the rail into the wooden block. The wooden block would be used to lean against the wooden poles that secure the product, cut at an angle that would ensure the ladder is securely placed with minimal risk of sliding side to side. The ladder heights are maximum 1800mm with operators not climbing higher than 1000mm.

Also, a bonus question! If I have some ladders that were fitted with the external sliding bits, would removing them also effect the structural integrity?

I am trying to source spring loaded poles to use in the wooden ones place, which act like the old toilet roll holders, pushing in the bottom and the spring taking the tension to secure, but the costs to replace the fleet at the moment, are coming back "too steep" for my GM.

Apologies if my description isn't very good, I will try and get some pictures, but if anyone has the imagination to picture what I mentioned, thanks!!

EDIT Pic below

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Ladder Modification

Post by Waterbaby »

:wave:

Good idea adding the photos ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness »

Hiya. Thanks. Hopefully it'll help show what I was rambling on about. :D picture worth a thousand words and all that.

It helps the operators stay more secure for the work they are doing, but Im also awre that tampering in anyway is probably against regulations. But I'm struggling so much to find a ladder fit for the job. Without the block it's not bad, but that little cut out just seems to secure it more,me specially when climbing.

I have sent some pictures to custom ladder places and waiting for responses. If anyone can recommend any others they've used or know of, that would be much appreciated too. :)
TZsafety
Student
Student

Post by TZsafety »

That's excellent Madness

Coincidentally I am working on the same sort of device too and just had a prototype made.

It is made from steel though - similar to your design and it was going to be secured to the top rung with jubilee clips. However, I could possibly use a C section that could drop over the rung and do away with the clips.
Zman
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Food
Occupation: Current role; Health Safety and Environment Co-Ordinator

Post by Zman »

The HSE, in their guide to the safe use of ladders, state:
"have been maintained and stored in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions."

The manufacturer's instructions for the ladders we have say that the ladders should not be modified,
this would exclude any additional fixings by screwing, welding etc.
It says "Press any key," where's the "any" key?
TZsafety
Student
Student

Post by TZsafety »

Thanks Zman

Yes, modifying ladders was something that concerned me so I have decided not to weld or screw anything to them although I suppose it is still "modifying". I can hopefully use the thing that drops over the top rung (The operators generally only climb a max of 3 rungs so wont be in the way)

I have weighed up the risk of an unstable ladder against adding the modification (if it can actually be used) and I am happy to go with the non-destructive modification.

Another thing I thought of was the spreader bar thing at the base or at the top but I'm not so sure of the latter against glass.
Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness »

Thank you both.
TZsafety, I would be interested to see your prototype at some point. I love the idea of having something clip on or slot over the rung.

Thanks, Zman. I'll have to knock this method on the head.
TZsafety
Student
Student

Post by TZsafety »

Not a problem Madness (It is patent pending!)

I have seen other places use the window cleaners type ladder that looks "A" shaped and the top of the point rests against the pole.
Madness
Student
Student

Post by Madness »

Yeah I have looked at those also!

I have sat down and drawn up a plan for something which doesn't involve modifying the ladder but should give the same advantages and be pretty sturdy, handed it to the maintenance team on site and see what happens!

:)
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

CargoBar.jpg
Regarding your spring loaded poles there are some products on the market for commercial vehicles.

Regarding getting something bespoke, have a word with Lyte Ladders, they have made bespoke changes for me in the past.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
frankie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by frankie »

I ALWAYS state DON'T make any modifications as the user would have to justify it in the case of an accident or fall. However, i contacted a company and asked if an additional attachment would be acceptable and they said yes.
The bottom line is ask your ladder supplier would your 'screwed block' weaken the integrity of the ladder at all. My guess (and that's all it is) would be it doesn't weaken the ladder and will actually make it more stable for the user in this instance assuming it is made at the correct notch or recess.

Cover yourself first. ;-)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy