We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Office staff in the warehouse

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Healthy&Safe
Student
Student

Office staff in the warehouse

Post by Healthy&Safe » Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 am

Hi all!
I have recently crated a designated walkway in the warehouse for non-warehouse staff to walk through
it has plenty of signage and someone is coming in to do floor markings. It is also a rule that if any non-warehouse staff need to walk through the warehouse not using the dedicated walkway a hi-viz jacket must be worn. I think everything we have in place at the moment is fine but the warehouse manager thinks everyone should be wearing boots aswell.
Is this taking it a step too far?
some non-warehouse staff need to go into the warehouse to check stock etc... and its mostly a brief visit. Should i provide safety boots for everyone? or is hi-viz enough?
thanks guys

sharprc
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Oil & Gas

Re: Office staff in the warehouse

Post by sharprc » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 am

I have encountered this problem many times.

What if someone wants to step off the walkway, or if the walkway is blocked.

A walkway will not prevent anything rolling into someone's foot.

Unless there are physical barriers to prevent people leaving the walkway or objects entering the walkway, I would air on the side of caution and make people wear Footwear

At the end of the day it's all down to your risk assessment and what hazards you have identified.
"Simplicity is the key to brilliance"

wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas

Post by wendolene26 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:53 am

We have to wear safety footwear, high viz waistcoat (or coat if you have one), safety glasses and safety bump cap when entering the workshop area or the yard at my place of work. No exceptions.
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.

Healthy&Safe
Student
Student

Post by Healthy&Safe » Wed May 27, 2015 9:09 am

I do understand, it just seems silly that staff have to dress for combat just to walk through the warehouse.
But I guess peoples well-being is the main priority

TZsafety
Student
Student

Post by TZsafety » Wed May 27, 2015 9:42 am

My experience of this - if it is a designated walkway and nothing drives across it or can roll across it as mentioned above Employees were allowed to wear normal sturdy shoes (No open ones or stilletos and this rule was applicable for the ladies too) If they ventured off the designated walkway then safety footwear had to be worn (Along with other PPE)

kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 pm

We don't know your circumstances, so only you can really decide what the likelihood of someone getting their feet damaged is when they go into the warehouse.

If someone is checking stock, I guess they are not on the footpath ?
Is there any chance a forklift will run over their foot, or they will drop something on their foot when moving stock on the pallet they are checking stock on ?
Will they be carrying anything that they might drop on their foot (and if they did would it cause a significant injury - so a notepad probably is OK) ?

If you cannot say for sure that there is no significant risk of someone being injured when toe tectors would have protected them, they toe tectors are required.

Also consider slip and trip risks. most toe tectors are are also anti slip, and that might make all the difference if the pedestrian steps in a wet patch.

Do your risk assessment so that you can show it to your boss and explain why you have reached your decisions. Be able to back it up with facts about risks rather than just not wanting to do something because it's inconveneient or you know it's going to be unpopular.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)

David68
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @Dyer0145
Industry Sector: manufacturing

Post by David68 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Why do you need hi viz - is the lighting inadequate, is the pedestrian/vehicle segregation not in place or not effective. .

As for protective footwear. What are the SIGNIFICANT risks.

Why do non-warehouse staff NEED to go into the warehouse?

What else can you do to look after the staff before you use PPE; PPE is not the first choice, it is the last resort
Grad IOSH - Tick
CMIOSH - one day! ../.

Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities
Chartered UK Safety Consultant & Managing Director

Post by Coldrop » Wed May 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Does the warehouse store chemicals that if spilt, is likely to melt your toes off?
Or is it a balloon warehouse so nothing to land/roll on to and break toes?
Storage for heavy construction or industrial materials?

As previously mentioned, you need to conduct a risk assessment

I would suggest you do a joint one with the manager who wants boots and someone whose happy with normal footwear, you can then get view points from both sides and between the 3 of you, get it sorted to a satisfactory conclusion
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!

dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:14 am

As said above the risk assessment will play a big factor but if you your warehouse guys wear PPE then so should pedestrians unless you have physical segregation in place. What if the stock they are checking falls on their toes?

Had this issue before and some office staff didn't want to put boots on just to pop down and ask something or pick up samples so I created a safe zone by the entrance, it had a physical barrier and was hatch marked on floor. A bell was fitted and staff just pressed it to get a member of staff to help with their query.
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found

gfsw

Post by gfsw » Thu May 28, 2015 7:52 am

Straight risk assessment will provide the evidence.
What is the probability of it going pear shaped.
What will be the severity - you now have an answer.

I have a forklift area through which people occassionaly do pass through. They do not wear toe tectors as my RA , supervisors, near miss data and other factors indicate that the risk is low and not significant.

previously at other employment / locations my RA has always advocated the wearing of of Toe tects.
garry

dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:14 am

I wouldn't avoid having toetectors, reasonably practicable?
Depending on size of warehouse you may also want to put in a distance rule where if an flt driver sees a pedestrian within a certain distance they must stop and acknowledge each other
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found

Healthy&Safe
Student
Student

Post by Healthy&Safe » Thu May 28, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks guys. all your comments have been very helpfull. Risk assessment needed!!
honestly i dont know where i would be without this website

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy