Help Needed

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Help Needed

Post by Ashanti »

I have organised an online drivers assessment that has been running for a couple of months now. Some people (the ones that don't have their heads up their ****s) have completed it without a word, some needed technical help but some from one section have come to the decision that it is some sort of trick even although I emphasised that it wasn't a "pass/fail thing" and that it was for everybody's benefit, including children that are transported. If it was just the grass roots I could talk most of them around (I can be quite charming when the need arises :lol: ) but some of the management in that section are equally cynical and have been inventing a story that this is voluntary. I am going to write a report today "recommending" that the director of this section pick this up and persuades/orders/threatens, whatever she wants, her management to make sure that the recalcitrants do the assessment. I will also be mentioning that this covers any liability I might have if somebody who hasn't done one has a serious or fatal accident and asking for a reply in writing.

I have most of the report in my head already but can anyone give me any more ammunition?
Boney
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Boney »

Ashanti,

Have you a regional health and safety person or someone higher than yourself who can "recommend" that this procedure is put into place?
Maybe a short presentation on the benefits of performing this procedure?
Or even a short meeting with a top line person involved and use your powers of persuasion to put your procedure into place.
I am a firm believer if needed then push it as high as you can go and make some waves.
If I have any other ideas then will post.

Boney
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

I may be clutching at straws here, forgive me if I am way of target, but how about a disclaimer?

If you could draw up a very simple disclaimer that you have signed to state this is not a test, it is purely for safety purposes, then display this on your drivers assessment. You could then explain to those involved just how this is NOT a test and how your disclaimer ensures this.

Just a thought, maybe it could help quash their fears.

I think that Boney's method is about the best approach though :)

Let us know how it goes Ashanti.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Malc
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Malc »

Hi Ashanti
on your company H&S policy have you got down one of the directors as champion for Health & Safety, because if you have he/she should be the one doing all the whip cracking. Also remember the top down scenario, get all the top brass to do the assessment first then they can get the rest of the employees to follow suit. Good Luck
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

Thanks people. The report is still unwritten but I will get it done tonight or tomorrow. We do have a responsible member of management for H&S but that is the person I need the ammunition for. Some of them still live in cloud cuckoo land where everything is nice and simple.

A disclaimer would be a good idea in other circumstances but things were allowed to go so far that all that is left is for them to be told. I know that sounds authoritarian but with this group it will be the only way now. I amn't their line manager so all I am doing is passing the consequences up the line. If it isn't taken up then I'm not responsible and I have all the paperwork to prove it. Sad that it comes to that at times but without a genuine interest, and even realisation of the consequences, from the top its sometimes all that can be done.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

It sounds very familiar, having to "sell" health and safety to the managers, when it really should be top priority.

It's times like this Ashanti when it must be very frustrating indeed. :banghead:

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

Extremely :banghead: The real word though :?
Malc
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Malc »

Just remembered something that might be useful to you. ROSPA do a free CD rom for driver assessments. The actual software is free but the catch is you have to purchase the assessment credits. Its almost like a video game where the user has to spot driving errors, then they are assessed on how many they spot and how quickly they spot them. I had a go last night, i won't tell you my score. Go on their website to order.
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

Ta Malc, I will have a look at this for next time but for now I will have to plough on with the one I am using (It' sounds pretty similiar).

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy