Fatigue management help

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Foxy
Student
Student

Fatigue management help

Post by Foxy »

Hi, I have a few questions to ask .pukeleft got kinda stuck on my work.
1) Lets say the question asked me how would i assess fatigue in a company, so am i suppose to use a fatigue failure form like a check list ?

2) If they ask me how would i assess the health impact of shift work in the company, am i suppose to use a check list too ?

In general, how do u guys assess fatigue or the health impact in the company ? Care to share ?!?! .salut
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Fatigue management help

Post by Alexis »

Foxy wrote:Hi, I have a few questions to ask .pukeleft got kinda stuck on my work.
1) Lets say the question asked me how would i assess fatigue in a company, so am i suppose to use a fatigue failure form like a check list ?

2) If they ask me how would i assess the health impact of shift work in the company, am i suppose to use a check list too ?

In general, how do u guys assess fatigue or the health impact in the company ? Care to share ?!?! .salut
Bringing this one back again for a second look Foxy. :)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
laurae
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by laurae »

Hi :wave:

I do not do this nor have ever done this but my first thought that came to mind is you would need information from the worker. So my suggestion is maybe an assessment similar to that of DSE assessment, where you could send out a questionnaire and gather information that way.

You could also gather information from one on one interviews/chats. Like an appraisal. Or ask for some input from the workers in regards to speaking up.

I guess you would have to do something proactive like risk assess a task to determine if the correct amount of people have the correct amount of time with the correct amount of resources to complete it.
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

I think there are some quantitative measures you can take. For example you would expect productivity to fall in someone who was experiencing fatigue, also the number of faults or quality issues arising would increase. These would maybe used as indicators and would be used to highlight individuals for further investigation?
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

Start off with the number of hours being worked per person, and if any individuals are working a lot more than the average. (working time directive)
Look at accidents and near misses during unsociable hours working, it relies on reporting so isn't an accurate measure, but it'll let you see if there's a pattern.
Look at absenteeism on unsociable hour shifts, tired people tend to phone in sick more often.

After that you will be able to target a questionnaire towards root causes of any patterns you spot and ask questions which are more relevant than the standard "Do you feel tired at 2am?".

Don't expect people to tell the truth in a questionnaire, you'll get a bit of truth, but most people are not going to rock the boat by giving you the full story.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Stew 1000
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @ProActivewear
Industry Sector: Education sector

Post by Stew 1000 »

Foxy,

A great place to start is the HSE fatigue calculator, its great for shift work but not so good for day shift workers, coupled with a question paper it works quite well and gives an out put. The thing with fatigue is that we are all different and our sleeping patterns are very different. all in all it s a difficult subject. Try starting with the calculator http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr446.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Never trust a man who, when he`s alone in a room with a tea-cosy, doesnt try it on"

http://www.proactivewear.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy