If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Oil and gas hse job interview questions

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Martinmac

Oil and gas hse job interview questions

Post by Martinmac »

Hi,
I've got a telephone interview for an HSSE position within oil and gas sector next week. Did a 15 minute informal type interview at their recruitment event yesterday with HSSE Manager and he was keen to do a more detailed telephone type interview next week. Was wondering if anybody had any clues as to what he might ask? I'm thinking nothing too technical as he knows I'm not from the oil industry industry (EHO and now consultant). Thinking, maybe scenraio, something about conflict, something on Regs perhaps.
Any pointers, no matter how insignificant you think they are, would be greatly appreciated!!
Martin
Drsplib
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Clinical Diagnostics - Healthcare
Occupation: Environmental, Health, Safety and Facilities Manager

Re: Oil and gas hse job interview questions

Post by Drsplib »

I wouldnt expect anything too technical on a telephone interview - its usually just a meet and greet, get to know you, see how byou come across, talk about your experience and what you can bring to the role etc.
Technical interview will be later.
Think about what transferable skills you can apply to the JD, with examples of actual things you have done/implemented.
Andrew.
Drsplib.
"The more people i meet, the more i love my dog."
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

I agree with Drsplib. Just a way of getting to know you and seeing if you can join sentences and communicate without the need of a text. :lol:

A few tips:

1 Read what the advert's description of the job is prior to the call. Print it off and keep beside you.
2 They most probably will ask why you applied for this job, or what do you think you could do for this company, or why the job appealed to you.
3 Don't blab on and on nor speak too quickly in case they don't pick up your accent right away, but do be yourself.
4 If they ask a specific question about your experience, don't go off in a tangent. Tell them some of it, but ask if they would like even more detail. Don't just go on and on until your time runs out. You will be allocated a certain length of time.
5 Personally, I used to wear something smart and had my make-up on in these situations, so wear a shirt, no make-up :lol: , shave, smart trousers and your work confidence will shine through the telephone.
6 Make sure you are in a quiet location where you won't be interrupted by barking dogs, screaming children or nagging wives. :lol:
7 This should be at the top of this list. Make sure you answer the telephone with a "professional" tone and say good morning/afternoon or whatever. Don't just say hello. Say "Good afternnoon, Martin Mac speaking", then go into yourself.
8 Have a notepad and pen beside you to scribble anything you may forget because if they interview you face to face after this, you may need to prompt something from the telephone call.
9 Don't forget the thank you for calling at the end.

All the very best Martin. Telephone calls are just a way of telling them how lovely you are. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Martinmac

Post by Martinmac »

Thanks very much to both of you for getting back to me, it is much appreciated. Kind of feel that I've already had the meet and greet part during the private face to face with the HSSE Manager at their recruitment event. We covered the basics then about my background and experience. The HSSE Manager did mention that like me his background was as an EHO so I'd like to think that he will take into account the fact that he made the transition into the oil industry from the same type of background. I think he might just want to build upon what we discussed previously. He did mention he was interested in me having had a face to face and read my CV and that he was looking for people ranging from experienced HSSE Managers to others like me with plenty of H&S experience but not in this sector.
Thanks again you guys for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I'll keep you postedon the outcome!
Martin

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy