Health, Safety and Welfare Regs...

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Twisted Blister
Twitter: @safecondition

Re: Health, Safety and Welfare Regs...

Post by Twisted Blister »

Why, I aughta...! ;)

Going to have a sit down with them this afternoon and put a proposal to them and see what feedback I get. Changing break times is on the agenda.
Health and Safety is...

never having to say you're sorry.

Safecondition.Co.uk
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Twisted Blister wrote:I can't find a guide for employees on the HSE web site, can anyone point me in the direction of a visual aid for avoiding ingestion of harmful substances through poor hygene practice. Or if anyone can throw facts or anecdotes at me that I can use?
I was sure we had something from many years ago when we stopped eating/drinking on the shop floor, but not finding it at the moment, I'll look when I get back to work.

I know you want to go down the softly softly route, which is the way I'd probably choose as well, but here's a couple of bits could be handy. I suspect you have been here, but I'm posting this info for the benefit of others who may read the post.

If you feel there are hazardous substances could cause harm/illness by ingestion, you will need to assess the risks of what these hazards are and how you currently control them. You may also need to carry out health surveillance depending on the findings from your assessment.

For me, using assessments like these to eductate people on how they can be harmed at work is very often all it takes. We have welders/fabricators at risk of inhaling and ingesting harmful substances and they all understand the risks, so they adhere to the controls set in place. i.e. no eating/drinking in the area, use LEV, wash hands before eating, change overalls etc.

Here's a copule of useful links...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/basics/surveillance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg61.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure we have a presentation or two for personal hygiene relative to hazardous substances, I'll see if I can find it.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Twisted Blister
Twitter: @safecondition

Post by Twisted Blister »

Thanks Jack and info will be appreciated.

Well Monday afternoon was quite hostile, you'd think I was infringing human rights. "Us and Them", "health and safety when it suits", "I've done this all my life", "this is pathetic" etc etc...

When we looked at the root issues we came to an agreement that those who wanted to eat a pie at 9am could still do so (in our spacious canteen). Breaks would not change, there would be no eating or drinking on the shop floor at any time. Any time they wanted to have a drink of water to quench thirst they could leave their workstation and take a drink and get straight back to work and I have negotiated them a short tea break in the afternoon with the proviso that any abuse will render the afternoon consession redundant. They are in charge of policing their own destiny.

Well, it was smiles all round then wasn't it. Best mates with them all now aren't I, "'elf and safety is the best thing ever". ;)
Health and Safety is...

never having to say you're sorry.

Safecondition.Co.uk
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

Sounds like you got a result...eventually.

INDG244 P7 states "Where workers regularly eat meals at work, suitable and sufficient facilities should be provided for the purpose. Such facilities should also be provided where food would otherwise be likely to be contaminated.

Work areas can be counted as rest areas and as eating facilities, provided they are adequately clean and there is a suitable surface on which to place food.

Where provided, eating facilities should include a facility for preparing or obtaining a hot drink. Where hot food cannot be obtained in or reasonably near to the workplace, workers may need to be provided with a means for heating their own food (eg microwave oven)."

None of this detracts from the employer's right to stipulate whether food consumption is permitted in work areas or not (whether the employees like it or not!) An employer may consider office workers eating sandwiches at the desk acceptable but not be happy with sandwiches being consumed on a production line because it's the employer's business and they're allowed to make those (not unreasonable) rules provided they also comply with the guidance above.

As a part of your Risk Assessment why not get swabs taken from the area the staff presently use and get them tested for contaminants (the Local Authority's EHO should be able to let you know who could provide such a service) then you've got some solid evidence to back up your suggestion to restrict eating to the 'canteen'.
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Well done T B - need to assess now if your canteen will now get overcrowded lol

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
The Instructor
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Training
Occupation: Managing Director, Forklift Instructor, NVQ Assessor, currently undertaking nebosh gc

Post by The Instructor »

Glad you got it sorted x
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law, provided it harms none!
http://www.cabtraining.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Accredited Forklift Training

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy