Moderator: Moderators

Darren
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas

Forklift License & refresher

Post by Darren »

Hi all

Can anyone clear this up for me with a point in the direction of legislation if possible.

On site we have a 3.5, 5 and 10ton forklift. My predecesor worked on the principle that if a new employee starts we always insist they have a certificate accredited by one of the main bodies (RTITB, ITTSAR etc) and the course was sat at a training centre. He would then hire in a third party to conduct onsite training on each of the 3 forklifts as they are all outwith the banding catchment. Same applies when they are due a refresher.

I think off top of my head that banding is 1-5, 5-7, 7-10 and then over 10.

Having done some research on RTITB website, it states that the banding was set by NORS and is for guidance, not certification. It also states that if an operator has sat a test on, for example, a 3 ton counterbalance to be certified to operate a truck of larger capacity but same type (counterbalance) it is acceptable that an employee deemed competant by the company can conduct familiarisation training on larger trucks and then issue a certificate allowing the employee to operate all company truacks of same type. Is this legally correct?

If so, I would assume that when due refresher training they would only require refresher on one truck, and again competence training can certify them to operate the other trucks on site?

thanks in advance

Darren
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Re: Forklift License & refresher

Post by kevlarion »

Hi Darran,

My understanding is that RTITB and ITSSAR (and CITB etc) are all certificates of basic training, the employer then has a duty to provide familiarisation training on the particular machines and authorising the driver, however since this is about site rules and where controls are situated there is no need for familiarisation training to be delivered by an external certification body.

So I would suggest that you are correct in your assumption, so long as all the trucks are of simialr type (eg all counterbalance). If they are different types such as counterbalance and reach, then I think basic training on the truck type would be required as well as familiarisation on the specific vehicles used on site.

You should document what is covered in familiarisation training, eg pointing out slopes, blind corners, rules for going through an entrance, and the controls on the vehicle - model number... use of any attachments, and keep signed records of competence.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
anthonyg
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by anthonyg »

????????????????????? you asked???????????????? .scratch
it is acceptable that an employee deemed competant by the company can conduct familiarisation training on larger trucks and then issue a certificate allowing the employee to operate all company truacks of same type. Is this legally correct?

No !!

Only a Competent Trainer could deliver this type of training. The company would be putting themselves in deep doo doo if there was ever an accident/incident by an operator who had been familiarised by another operator.
You may do well to have a look at HSG 6 free to download on the HSE Website there is some info in there that clears up the training and trainers
http://lifttruckdevelopments.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HEALTH AND SAFETY not DEATH AND CALAMITY
Darren
Student
Student

Post by Darren »

I was simply quoting what is on the RTITB website, see below

4. I have an operator whose certificate says “up to 5000kg”, Can he operate the same truck type at a larger capacity?

A. We often receive queries regarding the rated capacities at which lift truck operators are tested and how they should cope with similar trucks of larger capacities. Remember that training and test at novice, existing operator, conversion or refresher levels for the specific truck type is considered to be basic training. The NORS scheme simply allows for bands of rated capacities to simplify matters. Where an operator needs to operate either a larger truck from the same classification such as a counterbalanced truck for example, or a truck powered by a different power system, the operation of the truck will be generally similar. Any differences should be covered by a period of familiarisation training on the specified truck. Employers should nominate experienced operators or supervisors to conduct on the job familiarisation training, which should include differences in operating, differences in manoeuvring ability and attachments used, and the types of work involved in the use of the truck, and they may then certificate operators as having received that training, and authorise operators to use the machines involved.
anthonyg
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by anthonyg »

Thank you Darren-
Just off to Roast my Masters......................... :twisted:
http://lifttruckdevelopments.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anthonyg
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by anthonyg »

Darren,
This has now been removed - thanks for the spotting of it .salut

HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi anthonyg :wave:

Would I be correct in thinking that the info that Darren quoted from the website has now been removed as it was incorrect? .scratch

I am just putting on the link to the HSG 6 (but haven't had time to read it, hence why I am asking :lol: ) - are there Legal requirements about FLT type training over and above Best Practice, and if so, can you state what they are, please (for future reference)?

Safety in working with lift trucks HSG6 link: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsg6.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks (in anticipation) :wave:
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
anthonyg
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by anthonyg »

Sorry Helen- had man flu :oops:

- are there Legal requirements about FLT type training over and above Best Practice, and if so, can you state what they are, please (for future reference)?

I'm not sure that I understand your question( :roll: ) There are certainly legal obligations for basic safety training for all types but nothing I have seen asks for above best practice- certain companies do and I guess this is compliance and better!!!

But then there is Specific and Familiarisation which in Rider operated lift trucks;operator training approved code of practice and guidance(L117) says "should be carried out in accordance with the type of truck,area,knowledge and experience of the operator and the type of work expected to be undertaken by operator"

This is the nearest Legal for Best practice that i am aware of .scratch

HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi anthonyg :wave:

Thank you, that was exactly the sort of info I was after (and I hope you feel better, now, too) ./thumbsup..

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l117.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The HSE Description puts it better than I could :lol:
This version of the Approved Code and guidance is a revision of the 1988 publication and now scopes a wider range of trucks. It reflects the thousands of accidents attributable annually to a lack of ‘sufficient and suitable’ training and underlines the three main proficiency standards applicable to operators: basic training, specific job training and familiarisation training (the general principles outlined can also be used as a guide when training operators of types not covered explicitly).

Accordingly, the document is given in two parts. The first (the Code) advises on the basics and covers issues such as training structure, content, facilities and matters of legislation. The second (the guidance) provides the supplementary advice on training specifics and familiarisation issues.
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
anthonyg
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by anthonyg »

And strangely enough they also bettered my answer too( :lol: :lol: :lol: )

And yes I have been assured that the statement has been withdrawn.
:| feelin slightly better - thank you

Darren
Student
Student

Post by Darren »

So, if we have 3 counterbalance trucks on site, do operators need to be trained by a qualified instructor and refreshed on all 3? We have a 3.5, 7 and 10

Is there banding in which they must be trained on different trucks as the weight increases?

cheers

Darren
The Instructor
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Training
Occupation: Managing Director, Forklift Instructor, NVQ Assessor, currently undertaking nebosh gc

Post by The Instructor »

I have pm'd you Darren x

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy